Go Back   FileForums > Game Backup > PC Games

Old 25-07-2003, 16:18

Misses_X
Possible workaround for Cycling Manager 3 and other Starforce 3 games

Cycling Manager 3 (StarForce3) images are succesfully emulated without any CD device in system except alcohol virtual cd

you must unplug power supply from your cd, disabling secondary controlller in bios don't help

You need to un-plug all the IDE devices because starforce 3 will ask you to put the cd in a IDE device, if there is any IDE dev., nad the virtual drive is an SCSI device.

the way to outwit StarForce 3

And it works fine, and now... say God to me =D

Last edited by RincewindTheWiz; 25-07-2003 at 16:54.
Sponsored Links
Old 25-07-2003, 16:52
Die Hard Member

RincewindTheWiz is on a distinguished road
Well I'm not going to call you God, since obviously around here I am God Still, if it works, it IS a solution for all those desperate souls hanging around here begging for a cycling manager 3 crack So congratulations on finding a workaround. Now let me think to see if there's a less radical solution.... I wish I had one of those starforce games here so I could test some tricks of my own... I'll think about it and see if I can suggest anything else regarding IDE drives... But still, congratulations for finding something that works

Edit : I'm going to change the subject a bit to make it more clear and make this thread into a sticky for a while, anyone wanting to try this, post your results in this thread... Bugger, having a problem changing the thread subject, well let's keep it this way for a while

Last edited by RincewindTheWiz; 25-07-2003 at 16:56.
Old 25-07-2003, 17:05

Misses_X
thx =) Only what you need too, is the Serial from your ORGINAL CD
Old 25-07-2003, 17:59
Sex Machine

JoyBoy is on a distinguished road
I changed the thread header, pretty easy

Anyways, that 'fix' for starforce3 games seems a little extreme...I personally wouldnt even bother doing it, just to get one game to work..You didnt come up with that by yourself did you?
Old 25-07-2003, 18:17
Die Hard Member

RincewindTheWiz is on a distinguished road
Well, like I said it's a workaround, and it's pretty radical, but the important fact is that there IS a way to play without the original in the drive. If you're obsessed enough with CM3 not to need the cdrom drive for anything else for a long time, then it's handy. But I'm sure there must be some better way to get past it, some setting or such to change in windows so that it doesn't find a cdrom or to reenable it when you do need the cdrom drive...
Old 26-07-2003, 02:59

Misses_X
Hello, today i have test it with Fire Chief and World War(StarForce 3 too), and it works fine. I know that this way is more complex, but its at moment the only way to play StarForce backups. We only can hope, that Alcohol emulated StarForce 3 anytime
Old 26-07-2003, 05:24

Cosmic
Disabling the IDE-Controller with the CD-Rom connected in Windows' device manager should work as well....then you get away with just a reboot.

Old 26-07-2003, 06:28

Perion
Thanx for the help but it's not working for me and Cycling Manager 3. I have unplugged all my IDE devices and I'm mounting the original CD from the Alcohol120% Virtual Drive. However after I click on "Play" StarForce says that my CD-Key is invalid, but I'm sure I entered the original key. Can u help me again and suggest any solutions or could you plz make a crack for this game. If yes for version 1.11r as well because there are many important bugfixes and improvements in the game.

PLZZZ!!!
Old 26-07-2003, 06:48

Misses_X
u sure thats it the orginal key? lol...
When you have the ORGINAL KEY for THIS CD, and EVERY cd has a own Key, Than it works 100% !!!!

Only what i can say, buy the orginal =)
Old 26-07-2003, 06:55

Kosos
eheh????this a Crazy metod
Old 26-07-2003, 10:40

norwik
Lame...

Unpluggin all ide devices is just toooo lame for one game to work. The only thing that will make this game playable is a new crack and nothing else. This fix will only work for those who have an original key. And:If you got the key this fix is just a waste, because it`s easier to use the game-cd when you play, than disabling the drives all the time.

Anyway: I know most of you that only "own the original, but can`t find the key or something," will not be able to run the game before such a fix is made. You need the CRACK and I`m really surprised that there is not one out with all this people beggin for it.

Maybe all the gurus are on vacation or something.. Watching Tour de France maybe?
Old 26-07-2003, 13:00

Perion
Yes I'm absolutely positive about my CD and my CD- Key

Thanks
Old 26-07-2003, 17:22

guod
god? lamer.

Misses_X didn't discover anything, this is a well known work-around for star-force game (which I thought was fixed in the most recent versions) and has been known for 3+ months... and is posted on most forums on the net.

Star-force simply won't even try to authentificate the CDS with scsi cdroms (virtual cd-roms use these interfaces) when there are IDE ones present.. This work-around disables the IDE devices, therefore s-f sees that the only attached devices are scsi, and tries to verify the disc on that interface.
Old 26-07-2003, 17:35

guod
Quote:
and EVERY cd has a own Key
another point i forgot to mention about star-force cd-keys..

they are unique per replicated batch. (which can be every cd on earth if they didn't have to do localised version / need more cds due to demand). In all games that I have seen so far, this cdkey was only required for star-force and not used by the game at all (since they are all the same).
Old 26-07-2003, 20:41
Die Hard Member

ash2dust2
Interesting that a generic solution can do all the games. Seems that someone could come up with a generic loader/crack that hides the IDE devices.