Go Back   FileForums > Game Backup > PC Games

Old 03-06-2005, 11:43

Sublime_4_Life
Send a message via AIM to Sublime_4_Life Send a message via Yahoo to Sublime_4_Life
Doing the "CD to DVD Conversion" question

Just a quick question when doing this procedure. When you say to copy all the files to your HD do you mean to make an image with say alcohol or clone cd...and then unpack (extract) the created image with isobuster or winrar or whichever program to a folder and then follow the procedure...Just asking because i doubt you are just dragging the files from the cd into a folder with windows explorer but who knows...sorry if you think its a dumb question but i wasnt completely sure lol.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2005, 12:44

!HaGaR!
Yep, the explorer-thingy

Itīs technically the same if you create an image and extract the infos or if you drag and drop the files via explorer.

Grx.
!HaGaR!
Old 03-06-2005, 12:54

Sublime_4_Life
Send a message via AIM to Sublime_4_Life Send a message via Yahoo to Sublime_4_Life
yes thats correct but as far as I knew the copying/burning programs we use copy the game into an image with the cd copy protection in tac and an basically an "exact" copy of the game. Meanwhile using windows explorer doesnt make an exact copy of the file (cd protection prohibits it etc etc). Thats what i thought, if it were that easy as draging the files and then burning a normal data disc with nero...then we wouldnt have all these programs out to back up games. Am I wrong here?
Old 03-06-2005, 13:42
Die Hard Member

Monty Burns is on a distinguished road
It is of course NOT the same if you make an image or simply copy the cd contents to your hd.

BUT, if you first do an image and then extract the files from the image, it is the same as just copying all the files from the cd directly.

"Copy all files to hd" means file copy, no need to do an image first.

Here's a phone. Call somebody who cares.

Ah, Monday morning.... Time to pay for your two days of debauchery, you hungover drones.

I could crush him like an ant. But it would be too easy. No, revenge is a dish best served cold. I'll bide my time until.... Oh, what the hell. I'll just crush him like an ant.
Old 03-06-2005, 20:49

Thanked 1,734 Times in 740 Posts
Grumpy is on a distinguished road
@Sublime 4 Life
Yes we mean just to drag the files to a temp folder using Windows Explorer.
Basically it is rare with todays protections to be able to create a perfect 1:1 copy of a disc anyway! That is why we say to include a 'crack' folder.
Even if you were to use say Alcohol 120 or CloneCD, to create a backup, it would more than likely still need a NoCD crack to play anyway.
So just follow the readme's and use Windows Explorer to copy the files to the hardrive. Then edit what the readme's say, add the crack folder, serials, Update patches, game manuals etc to the temp directory. Then burn the contents of the temp directory to a DVD using Nero or another similiar program. Then you will have the game CD's backed up to one DVD. The game will install fine from that DVD but you will need the cracked exe to be able to play that game!
If there isnt a crack available for a game then there is no point backing the game up to a DVD.
Hope that explains it for you.