Go Back   FileForums > Off Topic > Software

Old 13-02-2006, 11:36

Muji-FightR is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Muji-FightR Send a message via Yahoo to Muji-FightR
Smile Visual C++ IDE

This is not a post about THE visual C++
I just wanted to have a few suggestions for starting programming in C++, of course Window apps, not console apps, i somewhat left that crap behind and wanted to start "real coding"
Well, I tried Borland C++ Builder 6, it produced good exes and was pretty easy to handle but you always had to include some kinda memory management dll which was 1.5 mb in size o.O
Visual C++ 2005 Express wont let me create Window Apps, at least not as good as w/ Visual C# 2005 Xpress
I also had a look at several other IDEs like bloodshed which is IMO only good for creating console apps, dlls or if you really have a knowledge of creating window apps connected w/ the Win API without drag n' drop action
However, that is my only question:
Is there a recommendable IDE which is easy to handle for a newbie, which lets me create window/desktop apps for Windows without professional 3 year practice and which compiles .exes that dont need any additional 5 mb dll so it runs on nearly every Windows 9x / NT / 2k and XP comp ???
Sponsored Links
Old 13-02-2006, 14:09
Die Hard Member

kosmiq is on a distinguished road
Well IMO Visual Studio .NET is the best. Once you have tried it nothing can really compare IMO.

And about the dll's required for the application developed. If you create .NET apps of apps that uses MFC additional DLL's will be required. Only solution is to either integrate the dll's into the .exe file (thus making the .exe itself huge) or start developing your own window handlers, buttons and whatever you are doing. :-\

[URL]http://www.bf2player.com/index.php?page=stats&account=23459637&show=all[/URL]
Old 14-02-2006, 06:29

Quall999 is on a distinguished road
I think I know what you are talking about. When you create a visual C++ MFC app in vs2005, it gives you all these context menus and the basics, but it does not give you a form for the main window to edit like c# or VB.

You can fix this if you want. You can actually specify it to be a CFormView instead of a CForm. CFormView is the "visual" part of visual C++.

Go Here:
http://www.functionx.com/visualc/controls/forms.htm

Look at number 6 of that tutorial. In the last tab of the wizard, you choose the properties of #6 in the tutorial. Change the Base class to a CFormView.

Unfortunately, I don't know any other IDE's to help, but hopefully this post is what you are talking about.
Your main form will be editable like this:
http://img490.imageshack.us/my.php?i...ntitled4xd.png

Last edited by Quall999; 14-02-2006 at 06:43.
Old 14-02-2006, 11:31

Muji-FightR is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Muji-FightR Send a message via Yahoo to Muji-FightR
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosmiq
Well IMO Visual Studio .NET is the best. Once you have tried it nothing can really compare IMO.

And about the dll's required for the application developed. If you create .NET apps of apps that uses MFC additional DLL's will be required. Only solution is to either integrate the dll's into the .exe file (thus making the .exe itself huge) or start developing your own window handlers, buttons and whatever you are doing. :-\
I could start coding in C++ .NET but this is exactly what i wanted to avoid:
Actually I started learning C++ because of the power (well, .NET brings a lot of power, too) and the speed of such programs.

@Quall:
Well, problem is: I have the Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition, there is not yet a normal or professional version available.
Unfortunately I can't choose an MFC project, it just gives me the option to create a console app for Win32, everything else (including dll, ...) is only possible using the .NET runtime, thus coding in C++ .NET

I'll have a look at the normal Visual Studio version when it's out... then I'll try your trick

Hey, and thanks for your replies
Old 14-02-2006, 12:03

Quall999 is on a distinguished road
Damn, I didn't realise that MS left that out of the Express version. Now I know why it is free...They just want to push CLR/.net