Go Back   FileForums > CD & DVD > CD/DVD Copy Protections & Utilities

Old 18-10-2001, 12:16

JavaGeek
Best Media For SafeDisc 2 Backups

What is the best CD-R media to use when burning a backup copy of a SafeDisc 2 original? I made a backup of Pools of Radiance using CloneCd 3.0.8.1 and tried copying it to a CD-RW disc I had lying around to make sure the copy worked. This worked perfectly....so I burned it to a Memorex 80 Min CDR....(Green Dye)and I got a nice coaster for my efforts. I then burned it to a generic no name brand 80 min CDR (Blue Dye) and it worked intermittently (actually about every other time it worked O.K.) Has anyone had good luck with any particular brand of media? I'm using a Mitsumi 4808TE (OEM) burner (16x - 8x - 40x).

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old 19-10-2001, 04:38

crispy
I have to say that the early discussions over sd2 did include talk about media, and their relative reflectivity etc.

But recently, since hardware failings were identified, media seems to be only as important as it was beforehand. i.e. using poor media gives you coasters.
This also seems to depend on your burner. Media that is good for one, may not be for another.

All I would say is that I used Memorex cdr once. Never again. Wasted a whole box of them. And when they did burn okay, they only lasted a few months then I got read errors aplenty.
Personally I stick to Verbs and TDK reflex.

This is of course my opinion only, and you may well find peeps who are very happy with Memorex.
Old 19-10-2001, 07:28

JavaGeek
Thanks.....I guess that I'm just going to have to try a bunch of different brands/types of media. I had a similar experience to you with Sony CDR's....I bought some once and only once. The memorex CDR's are perfectly fine for dumping stuff to for storage but just don't seem to like the sd2 image. I'll try burning at a slower speed as well to see if that has any affect on the copy. Thanks again.