Go Back   FileForums > Game Backup > PC Games > PC Games - CD/DVD Conversions > Conversion Tutorials

Old 23-05-2020, 22:40

Gupta is on a distinguished road
Quote:
You may store some rare/large duplicated streams in a temp file, while storing small/frequent dupes in RAM - this way the excessive HDD load won't happen,
maybe he can introduce the second phase in compression, then he can store forward reference count for a stream that should ideally decrease requirements memory size beyond window size and that should increase compression too.

HDDs are very slow, I recently upgraded to nvme based storage and I can feel the speed.

Last edited by Gupta; 23-05-2020 at 22:46.
Sponsored Links
Old 28-05-2020, 11:48

panker1992 is on a distinguished road
Dedup

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitGirl View Post
Thanks for returning to the project, deduplication is a very useful feature.
I have an idea which will reduce the required RAM for dedup. You may store some rare/large duplicated streams in a temp file, while storing small/frequent dupes in RAM - this way the excessive HDD load won't happen, cause reads will be rare and the RAM won't be used that much. 1-2 GB is a pretty big amount even for machines with 8 GB. And for users with 4 GB installation will be almost impossible, considering srep and lolz/lzma. Even with page file. So reduction/control over used RAM is a must, I think.

I'd recommend you Halo Reach for testing dedup, it has tons of duplicate streams of a different size.
there is also a sorting match feature that can reduce ram needed and that is as follows.

srep does a very good job finding matches that are located far away!
that in order to happen makes a dictionary!
IF you sort the files you feed srep you can actually reduce ram needed and its speed

Sorting preprocession can speedup the process and cost less ram !! and remove IO overhead because NO temps
Old 29-05-2020, 01:23
Programmer

Thanked 8,954 Times in 1,989 Posts
Razor12911 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by FitGirl View Post
Thanks for returning to the project, deduplication is a very useful feature.
I have an idea which will reduce the required RAM for dedup. You may store some rare/large duplicated streams in a temp file, while storing small/frequent dupes in RAM - this way the excessive HDD load won't happen, cause reads will be rare and the RAM won't be used that much. 1-2 GB is a pretty big amount even for machines with 8 GB. And for users with 4 GB installation will be almost impossible, considering srep and lolz/lzma. Even with page file. So reduction/control over used RAM is a must, I think.

I'd recommend you Halo Reach for testing dedup, it has tons of duplicate streams of a different size.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gupta View Post
maybe he can introduce the second phase in compression, then he can store forward reference count for a stream that should ideally decrease requirements memory size beyond window size and that should increase compression too.

HDDs are very slow, I recently upgraded to nvme based storage and I can feel the speed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by panker1992 View Post
there is also a sorting match feature that can reduce ram needed and that is as follows.

srep does a very good job finding matches that are located far away!
that in order to happen makes a dictionary!
IF you sort the files you feed srep you can actually reduce ram needed and its speed

Sorting preprocession can speedup the process and cost less ram !! and remove IO overhead because NO temps

Believe me I have several ideas of how to reduce memory usage before even relying on virtual memory. Optimisation is my middle name.
78372 (29-05-2020), BLACKFIRE69 (29-05-2020), devil777 (30-05-2020), DiCaPrIo (29-05-2020), ffmla (29-05-2020), Gupta (29-05-2020), L0v3craft (29-05-2020), shazzla (29-05-2020)
Old 29-05-2020, 09:13

bunti_o4u is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edison007 View Post
I had time, and i added support for this files.
Also I added parsing FAT from watch_dogs, but without (de)compression yet.
It takes time to deal with the xcompress-library.
does it support stdio?

if you add stdio, it would be great..
Old 29-05-2020, 12:30

panker1992 is on a distinguished road
xcompress if pure windows 10 compression, and i think it supports it by default.