Go Back   FileForums > CD & DVD > CD/DVD Copy Protections & Utilities

Old 12-08-2003, 03:00

betavin
Question Howto Modify a BlindWrite Image?

I have this game CD that is SafeDiskv2 protected. I am able to duplicate this into a new CDR with BlindWrite Suite.
Now, I want to add a directory to the image before burning(a "crack" directory so that I can do away with having to insert the CDR everytime I wanna play the game).
How do I add this directory to the image? I tried WinIso - this adds the dir to the image, but the image when burnt into a CDR results in a coaster (I guess it screws up the image requirements of SafeDiskv2)...
Any help is appreciated...

Or is there any other way to basically achieve what I need??
Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-2003, 04:22

ByteMare
Why not copy all files to hd, add crack dir and do a remaster with Nero (or some other cdr-soft).

That should do the trick.
Old 12-08-2003, 05:02

betavin
I tried BlindWrite suite only after the copy-to-hd_and-burn procedure failed.
A disk so written has the proper data, but the game won't install (gives some weird error)
So, after searching a lot on the web and trying out stuff, I figured out that the only way is to do a 1:1 copy (using blindwrite/alcohol) of the original CD and then crack it.
Or is there a way out?
Old 12-08-2003, 06:20
Die Hard Member

Machina
I think there may be...

Its not hard, but may sound complicated at first.
Practice on a CD-RW.

Use this link - i6comp tool

This is a brief description of what to do!

An .exe file is stored in .cab files, usually data1.cab.
Those .cab files are CABINET files.
Do not be fooled, they are NOT Windows .cab files which can be opened with WinZip. These are special.
There is a tool from Sony that allows you extract files in those .cab files, and I think it allows you to archive them back.
So, you might want to make a perfect 1:1 copy (or perfect as it gets, since you are going to use a crack anyway!).
Open it (if its an ISO format, or maybe you can open BlindWrite files with something?), extract the data.cab, data1.hdr and data2.cab files. Then, use the tool (i6comp) to open and extract those, then replace the .exe file, then archive them back, put .cab files back into the dumped image (somehow), and if everyting goes OK - the game will be installed with a cracked .exe file!
Make sure to save the original file though!

Now, all this is THEORY, and its possible that non of it will work due to CRC checks, size checks, etc...
Just try!

Last edited by Machina; 12-08-2003 at 06:23.
Old 12-08-2003, 06:38

IceBreaker
Smile

Hey man thx 4 the link!

Always wanted 2 know how to open those "fake cab" files: even WinRar or WinAce don't handle them - I wonder why

As for the possible CRC check, there is no need to bother about that: CRC only deals with data integrity, not data content (such is the case for all archivers in fact). So altering "cab" file's content shouldn't create any probs
Old 12-08-2003, 06:54
Die Hard Member

Machina
yeah, its quite a nice tool to use when you loose the original .exe file. However, it takes just as long to extract and copy all that stuff as to reinstall the game...
I am not sure about opening BlindWrite files though...
Can a BlindWrite file be covnerted into an ISO image without loosing all the CD protection data?

BTW, another note on that Alcohol 120%. It DOES do pre-gap (here we go again, ). Its just there no way to enable it through Alcohol 120% itself, you have to use Alcohol - it FORCES Alcohol 120% to read pre-gap stuff. Maybe it had issues, so they disabled it in Alcohol 120%.
Old 12-08-2003, 10:57

IceBreaker
Talking Alcoholics anonymous

Quote:

Can a BlindWrite file be covnerted into an ISO image without loosing all the CD protection data?
I never heard of 'CD-image conversion' tools, but what I know is this: all CD-image formats are perfectly equivalent as long as read in RAW mode, with proper settings.

CloneCD and BW seperate the main image and the subchannel part.

ISO does it "all in one". So it contains "everything about the CD": main data, subchannel data, lead-in, lead-out, bad sectors, weak sector & all the crap.

ISO is the standard image format.

If BW image -> ISO format is to be effected, then it is necessary to take into account both the BWI and the BWS (subchannel) file, thus BWI+BWS->ISO.

Quote:

BTW, another note on that Alcohol 120%. It DOES do pre-gap ...
Wait one...

takes a sip, then resumes typing

Aah feels better...

OK back to Alcohol 120%

R U sure about what you're forwarding?
You may be mixing up things: I know that Alcohol 120 can be set to write pregap, but not read it.
Where did U get the info? I'd like to check it out...
Old 12-08-2003, 14:55
Die Hard Member

Machina
Download Alcoholer - it sets Alcohol 120% so that it can READ pre-gap.
Now, its ALCOHOL 120% that reads it, NOT the Alcoholer!
Alcoholer only enables pre-gap reading, since its impossible to enable it through Alcohol 120% (they hid the feature due to...who knows).
Get Alcoholer and find out yourself!
Old 13-08-2003, 02:01

betavin
Hei Machina, thanx for that i6comp tool !!

well, this procedure of <<<extracting the exe, replacing with crack, archiving and putting it back on the image>>> i guess would result in something similar to the stuff described in the first topic of this thread - coz it might be altering the image (the CD-protection data/sectors whatever!!!)

Quote:
I tried WinIso - this adds the dir to the image, but the image when burnt into a CDR results in a coaster (I guess it screws up the image requirements of SafeDiskv2)...

so i guess the only way it can be achieved is by replacing the .cab in-place (i.e. on the exactly same sectors that it occupied). this means the original and altered .cab files shoud be of the same size - this is an easier problem to solve

any thoughts??
Old 13-08-2003, 03:38

ByteMare
Excuse me, but the point of inserting a crack is to get rid of the protection, not keeping it on disc. You may want to keep the original files for eventual updates.
Old 13-08-2003, 06:07

betavin
Quote:
Excuse me, but the point of inserting a crack is to get rid of the protection, not keeping it on disc. You may want to keep the original files for eventual updates.
What u say is true, but a couple of points here
  • I want a 1:1 copy of the original. And also a crack dir in it. I know this sounds like a paradox, but I'm sure u folks understand the intent
  • There are 2 executables involved here: the setup exe(for installation) and the game exe. I have the game crack, but can the setup also be cracked? - never tried...

coz, the <<<extracting the exe, replacing with crack, archiving and putting it back on the image>>> is similar to <<<copy to hd, add crack or modify exe, burn>>>. I couldn't even get the game to install with the latter.

Last edited by betavin; 13-08-2003 at 06:10.
Old 13-08-2003, 08:33
Die Hard Member

emptyeighty
Quote:
Originally posted by betavin
I want a 1:1 copy of the original. And also a crack dir in it. I know this sounds like a paradox, but I'm sure u folks understand the intent
Pretty much impossible, since altering the image means altering subcodes, read errors and so on. Keep your cracks on HD or burn them to RW.
Quote:
There are 2 executables involved here: the setup exe(for installation) and the game exe. I have the game crack, but can the setup also be cracked? - never tried...
Of course it can
Old 13-08-2003, 17:16

IceBreaker
Talking 'Alcoholer' anonymous

Roger Machina got the 'Alcoholer' stuff

4 now I'll just stash it aside, indeed to this day pregap is never used in hardware CD protections (CD-cops, Securom 4.8x, Starforce), which Scotch 120% specializes in. And as I previously said, when it comes to software CD protections, Blindwrite and Discdump make excellent tools, including for pregap reading

As 4 'i6comp', yep it's a good tool, BUT has one major backdraw: no Graphical Interface. If that irks you too, then this link you will follow: http://www.cdmediaworld.com/cgi-bin/...inPack300b!zip and this file you will download: 'Winpack300b.zip'. It's a GUI frontend for i3comp -> i6comp. The i*comp.exe files are also packed within.

It's only a beta version but hey, we ain't talking about a beta BIOS or driver or other critical file, right ? So no danger, jus' download & enjoy!

Last edited by IceBreaker; 13-08-2003 at 18:34.
Old 14-08-2003, 15:22
Die Hard Member

Machina
Heh, soon, a new profession shall arize - CD Engineer
Old 14-08-2003, 19:31

IceBreaker
'CD reverse-engineer', more like...