Go Back   FileForums > Game Backup > PC Games > PC Games - CD/DVD Conversions > Conversion Tutorials

Old 24-04-2021, 09:04

L33THAK0R is on a distinguished road
Question about how to obtain decryption key for UE4 title.

Hi all,

Was looking into repacking/compressing Unreal Engine 4 titles (specifically Chernobylite), however it would seem that a decryption key is required to properly pack and unpack the archives. I'm not very sure as to where to find an index of decryption keys or how to properly extract/find the key for the title.

Another question I have is do all Unreal Engine 4 titles have encrypted archives or is it a case-by-case basis?
Sponsored Links
Old 24-04-2021, 11:18
Lame User

Thanked 5,799 Times in 2,140 Posts
KaktoR is on a distinguished road
AES finder
https://zenhax.com/viewtopic.php?f=9...p=56251#p56251
Old 24-04-2021, 12:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaktoR View Post
cheers man, you're a lifesaver! Real quick is it possible for some titles to not be encrypted? Chernobylite, when scanned with the AES finder app gives a "key.txt" output of "key not found, archives are probably not encrypted". Is it possible that the version of UE4 the title runs on isn't supported by the application? I only ask as it takes a fair while for my poor CPU to compress larger games (this one's a whopping 32gb!), and I'd rather not go through the pain again of finding my .arc file is useless. Thank you so much for that resource, it's honestly an incredible little tool!

Last edited by L33THAK0R; 24-04-2021 at 12:27.
Old 24-04-2021, 12:54
Senior forum member

Joe Forster/STA is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by L33THAK0R View Post
Chernobylite, when scanned with the AES finder app gives a "key.txt" output of "key not found, archives are probably not encrypted".
I can confirm this, with AES finder 0.9f. The .pak files do seem to be encrypted, though. Yes, probably AES finder doesn't support this game (yet).
Homepage: http://sta.c64.org, E-mail: [email protected]; for attachments, send compressed (ZIP or RAR) files only, otherwise your E-mail will bounce back!
Old 24-04-2021, 13:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Forster/STA View Post
I can confirm this, with AES finder 0.9f. The .pak files do seem to be encrypted, though. Yes, probably AES finder doesn't support this game (yet).
Thank you for confirming Joe, thankfully there are many more UE4 games for me to try my hand at compressing! Fingers crossed a future version supports this title!
Old 25-04-2021, 01:50
Senior forum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by L33THAK0R View Post
there are many more UE4 games for me to try my hand at compressing!
Do you have one for which AES finder can find the key? (I think it will find keys in 32-bit executables only.)
Homepage: http://sta.c64.org, E-mail: [email protected]; for attachments, send compressed (ZIP or RAR) files only, otherwise your E-mail will bounce back!
Old 25-04-2021, 05:38

Quote:
Do you have one for which AES finder can find the key? (I think it will find keys in 32-bit executables only.)
"Samurai Jack - Battle Through Time" which has the file name "SJGAME-Win64-Shipping.exe", (which I'm thinking is a 64-bit executable) generates the key "0x8E0A631576F6CBE340BF039C7C5BB8632E6FDC1082E019B 646B44B2846C96855". Currently attempting to compress some other games right now but I'll be sure to give it a shot in the coming days. Tried getting a key from the game "Satisfactory", but I'm having issues unpacking it with steamless, might ask over on the cs forums for help with that though, as I don't think its relevant here.
Old 26-04-2021, 01:49
Senior forum member

According to this utility: UnrealPak, Chernobylite's files are not encrypted, only compressed (with ZLib). I could list and extract the contents of any of the PAK's. If I understand correctly, you have to specify the AES key in the "Crypto.json" file of this utility to be able to decrypt files; if the PAK "index" is also encrypted, you won't even be able to list the files inside without the proper key. So I think AES finder was right: there's no key in this game.

This also means that you won't be able to significantly compress the game as it is further because it's already compressed, unless you extract everything from all the PAK's. [...] I tried it: Chernobylite works fine it this unpacked form - I could load the last savegame in the base and start a mission - and the (unpacked) files don't seem to be encrypted. (You can't compress encrypted files much anyway.) I extracted the PAK's in this order: 0, 1, 3, 3optional, ..., 9, 10, ..., 15. About 124 thousand files, 40.6 gigabytes. The "ChernobylGame" and "Engine" directories extracted from the PAK's go to the root directory of the game, all other directories go under "ChernobylGame\Content".

Can you confirm that you cannot list of extract files from "Samurai Jack - Battle Through Time" with the same utility? Without explicitly specifying the AES key, that is.
The Following User Says Thank You to Joe Forster/STA For This Useful Post:
L33THAK0R (26-04-2021)
Old 26-04-2021, 03:03

Masquerade is on a distinguished road
UnrealPAK is OK, however if you are extracting ue4 paks I recommend using quickbms.

If any key is needed, it prompts you at the start of the extraction process.

There's a script on Luigi's site, but there's also updated scripts which have better chance of working on cs forum (not entirely sure I'm allowed to link it for obvious reason). This thread contains long list of keys also.

@Joe you'll need to specify the key in order to decrypt/extract the pak - regardless if the full pak is encrypted or only Table of Contents.

All ue4 games run fine when their pak files are unpacked.

Last edited by Masquerade; 26-04-2021 at 03:07.
The Following User Says Thank You to Masquerade For This Useful Post:
L33THAK0R (26-04-2021)
Old 26-04-2021, 06:36
Senior forum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masquerade View Post
updated scripts which have better chance of working on cs forum (not entirely sure I'm allowed to link it for obvious reason). This thread contains long list of keys also.
Yes, I think we made maximum use of this topic on this forum.
The Following User Says Thank You to Joe Forster/STA For This Useful Post:
L33THAK0R (26-04-2021)
Old 26-04-2021, 07:34

Red face

Quote:
According to this utility: UnrealPak, Chernobylite's files are not encrypted, only compressed (with ZLib). I could list and extract the contents of any of the PAK's. If I understand correctly, you have to specify the AES key in the "Crypto.json" file of this utility to be able to decrypt files; if the PAK "index" is also encrypted, you won't even be able to list the files inside without the proper key. So I think AES finder was right: there's no key in this game.

This also means that you won't be able to significantly compress the game as it is further because it's already compressed, unless you extract everything from all the PAK's. [...] I tried it: Chernobylite works fine it this unpacked form - I could load the last savegame in the base and start a mission - and the (unpacked) files don't seem to be encrypted. (You can't compress encrypted files much anyway.) I extracted the PAK's in this order: 0, 1, 3, 3optional, ..., 9, 10, ..., 15. About 124 thousand files, 40.6 gigabytes. The "ChernobylGame" and "Engine" directories extracted from the PAK's go to the root directory of the game, all other directories go under "ChernobylGame\Content".

Can you confirm that you cannot list of extract files from "Samurai Jack - Battle Through Time" with the same utility? Without explicitly specifying the AES key, that is.
Attempted to Extract the .pak (only 1 exists) for Samurai Jack, can confirm a key is required. When inputting a key (using BMS script) extraction is successful. Thank you so much for your help man!
Old 26-04-2021, 07:36

Quote:
UnrealPAK is OK, however if you are extracting ue4 paks I recommend using quickbms.

If any key is needed, it prompts you at the start of the extraction process.

There's a script on Luigi's site, but there's also updated scripts which have better chance of working on cs forum (not entirely sure I'm allowed to link it for obvious reason). This thread contains long list of keys also.

@Joe you'll need to specify the key in order to decrypt/extract the pak - regardless if the full pak is encrypted or only Table of Contents.

All ue4 games run fine when their pak files are unpacked.
I had no idea all ue4 games run fine with the .pak files unpacked! Definitely keen to experiment with this!

Last edited by L33THAK0R; 26-04-2021 at 07:40.
Old 26-04-2021, 07:55

Masquerade is on a distinguished road
When I say "all" there may be one or two exceptions, none that I can think of...

Before I figured out how to use XTool, I used to unpack the games
Old 26-04-2021, 08:50

Quote:
When I say "all" there may be one or two exceptions, none that I can think of...

Before I figured out how to use XTool, I used to unpack the games
For sure there are expectations, but I was under the assumption that every UE4 title would only be able to read the .pak files and not unpacked files, I'm always amazed to learn things I'd never even considered to be possible!
Old 26-04-2021, 09:33
Lame User

Thanked 5,799 Times in 2,140 Posts
KaktoR is on a distinguished road
Engine properties.

I think the unpacked files have to be in a folder which is exactly named as the corresponding pak file.