Go Back   FileForums > Game Backup > PC Games

Closed Thread

Old 08-06-2006, 12:14

Space Cowboy1 is on a distinguished road
Strange sound problem

I wasn't sure if I wanted to buy Sid Meier's Pirates, so I tested the game out, and I needed a crack to play it (I'm legally allowed to do this before buying the game, which I'm thinking of doing. I just wanted to say this before people think I'm a pirate). I applied the version 1.02 patch to the game, and the version 1.02 crack to the game. Worked fine for a day. I've opened and closed the game a few times already, but this time when I open the game, no sound. The version 1.00 crack works just fine, but there are a few video problems which take away from the game quality. Lowering the sound quality on my integrated sound card doesn't work, reinstalling the sound card drivers doesn't work, reinstalling the game doesn't fix the problem either. If I try to open up the sound settings in the game, it crashes. I'm concerned that if I buy the game, the update might mess up the sound in the real version too, and the update helps make this game worth buying. This is the only game that I've had this problem with. Any advice would be much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-2006, 12:18

mojo8850 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to mojo8850 Send a message via AIM to mojo8850 Send a message via MSN to mojo8850
Sorry Dude You Will Get Banned Your Not Suppose To Think Of Buying A Game, You BUY First Then Test Later..

Peace Out

Ciao Regard's To Everyone From Mr Mojo :) :) :) [/B]
Old 08-06-2006, 12:25

ajay_wilson1 is on a distinguished road
maybe you should come back when you own the game!! should be fine with the original and if it isnt you have the support of the publishers.

This sounds like you have illegally downloaded the game. why would you need a crack to play it if you have obtained the game legally??

If you wish to test a game before you buy it try downloading the FREE demo!

This forum is ment to provide support for those who OWN the game. so when you buy the game people will be willing to help you, until then, dont ask for help!!
Old 08-06-2006, 12:32

So are you guys saying that it's impossible that I could have a friend who owns the game, let me install it on my computer, and I downloaded a crack so that I could play it and see what it's like? If I didn't plan on buying the game, I could have made up some story that I scratched my CD and I don't wanna pay for a new one, so I downloaded a crack, and I have this problem. I'm trying to be truthful with you guys.
Old 08-06-2006, 12:36

well what you have also done is illegal as one game can only be installed on one computer (all though this law is really stupid) and i doubt that your friend removed it from his computer. ok so if you did use an original then try updating your sound driver. if you sort the problem out i hope that you will buy the game
Old 08-06-2006, 12:43

I have friends who have emulators for other game systems on their computers, and I've seen the disclaimers on the sites they download from saying that they have up to 48 hours to download the game and test it out. I had assumed that I was allowed to do the same thing with this game. For people who buy the game, and have a legitimate problem with it, I hope they don't end up with the same audio problem I had, because the most recent patch has some sound issues after a while. Thanks for your help anyways guys. Any recommendations for help for other people who might have this problem in the future would be helpful.
Old 08-06-2006, 13:24

I am not sure about the downloading to test a game. im sure a mod will be able to give a bit more detail as they seem quite up to date with "gaming" law. Maybe the disclaimer is to prevent the person who uploaded the game from getting sued. no sure though. ill look into it though because it would be good if i could test the full game but could be illegal. if you own the game then contacting the publisher would be a good idea, or trying the offical forum.
Old 08-06-2006, 13:31

BayernMB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cowboy1
So are you guys saying that it's impossible that I could have a friend who owns the game, let me install it on my computer, and I downloaded a crack so that I could play it and see what it's like? If I didn't plan on buying the game, I could have made up some story that I scratched my CD and I don't wanna pay for a new one, so I downloaded a crack, and I have this problem. I'm trying to be truthful with you guys.
If you have a Friend that has an original CD why don't you borrow it and test if sound is OK with original CD and original .exe file?
Old 08-06-2006, 13:51

i knew i missed something from my post. thanks for that bayern
Old 08-06-2006, 14:48

I recently found out that it is in fact a sound card issue. I have a SoundMAX integrated sound card in my laptop, and other people have had problems with the game's sound. So even if I bought the game, I'd still have sound issues. Either I play without sound (which sucks), or have some graphics issues by not applying the patch. I'll have to hold off buying the game until someone figures out a way for it to work, or they release a new patch that fixes the problem.

Also, I see my friend once a week, and I was hoping there was a way to fix the problem today rather than wait until the weekend.
Old 08-06-2006, 17:45
Die Hard Member

RincewindTheWiz is on a distinguished road
Space Cowboy1, you were warned by multiple people here to stop breaking the board rules. You are now banned until the 16th.
Old 09-06-2006, 04:15
Senior forum member

Joe Forster/STA is on a distinguished road
I think that such "you may only use it for N hours but then delete it, promise?" warnings all bullshit; if the EULA - or other official statement of the copyright holder, e.g. an official E-mail from someone from the company in the case of older games - doesn't explicitly state this then you don't have to right. And why would they allow you to do this?!
Homepage: http://sta.c64.org, E-mail: [email protected]; for attachments, send compressed (ZIP or RAR) files only, otherwise your E-mail will bounce back!
Closed Thread