Go Back   FileForums > Game Backup > PC Games

Old 03-11-2010, 15:25

Myloch is on a distinguished road
POD (request)

I simply don't understand why these executables from Pod I already patched (using crack.exe nocd you can find on the web from 1997) keep asking for pod cdrom unless you run them in administrator mode (I have a Vista32 pc).
Bad or incomplete crack maybe?
I uploaded them in a rar archive for someone who want to give a look at them.

Note: my pod cdrom version is the retail one (v.2.1). the "pod.rar" archive contains the cracked executables. the "pod-2.1-originals.rar" contains the original executables. I used the pod generic crack made by hackerjack in 1997.

Note2: I removed the other uncracked executables because I made a mistake, they were from a wrong patch (they are for Pod Gold version), I'll look for proper voodoo2 patch for my pod 2.1, so the second request is discarded for now.
Attached Files
File Type: rar pod-2.1-originals.rar (3.17 MB, 9 views)
File Type: rar pod.rar (3.18 MB, 16 views)

Last edited by Myloch; 04-11-2010 at 10:52.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-2010, 01:59
Senior forum member

Joe Forster/STA is on a distinguished road
Please, upload all original executables. (Often seeing the differences that a crack made may be enough to apply the same changes to the other executables, thus cracking them, too, the same way.)
Homepage: http://sta.c64.org, E-mail: [email protected]; for attachments, send compressed (ZIP or RAR) files only, otherwise your E-mail will bounce back!
Old 04-11-2010, 11:02

@Joe Forster/STA: Ok. I reuploaded all the originals and cracked executables. There was a mistake too with previous "pod.rar" archive (all these different exe versions made me mad) so you should download the 2 archives in the first post again. bye

Pod.rar are the cracked exes, pod-2.1-originals.rar are the original files from cdrom.
Old 04-11-2010, 12:53

Cowsheep is on a distinguished road
All dlls of the game are needed, too.
Which exe you use for starting the game?
Old 05-11-2010, 03:24

@Cowsheep

I'm not so expert but I think that the executables that need some external dlls are those dedicated to ati, s3 and voodoo1 cards (wpodati,podatix,wpods3d,pods3dx,wpod3dfx and podx3dfx), correct me if I'm wrong. I don't use them and cannot test them because I use a modern pc . I use winpod.exe or podmmx.exe
Old 05-11-2010, 04:53
Senior forum member

Joe Forster/STA is on a distinguished road
Read the PC Games forum FAQ on how to create packages full enough for cracktesting. (Hint: try them on a "virgin" PC.)
Homepage: http://sta.c64.org, E-mail: [email protected]; for attachments, send compressed (ZIP or RAR) files only, otherwise your E-mail will bounce back!
Old 05-11-2010, 08:58
Die Hard Member

nando2002 is on a distinguished road
I have that game installed on a VirtualPC with Windows'98
Don't know what executable I use to run it but I do it in the VirtualPC.
This weekend I will checkout since the VPC is on my parents house.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:04

Hi nando. If you run it on virtual pc probably you use the winpod.exe or podmmx.exe and, as I already said, I'm pretty sure those two don't need extra dll (following the Pc games faq procedure). The weird thing is that in Vista you need to run the cracked exe as admin to bypass the please insert cdrom question.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:18
Die Hard Member

nando2002 is on a distinguished road
I don't have Vista - jumped from XP to 7.
Use the compatibility tab and set to run always as administrator. Set also the OS to Win98 and try it - if you haven't already.

Remember the crack was created under Win98. Windows NT (2000/XP/Vista/7) may handle things differently.
Old 06-11-2010, 03:56

the "real problem" is now: I found the proper update for version 2.0 (normal, direct3d and 3dfx update) but unluckily the existing nocd patch does not work with them anymore. I suppose ppl never bothered of patching it and they always used real cdrom or a cd image instead.

note: the 3dfx update for voodoo2 support works like a charm with glide wrappers. Playing this game in hires with AA/AF is a cool experience.

If you are interested, the game update is here:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/44k5qf

simply unpack the archive in the installdir and overwrite existing files. (for security, make a backup of originals)

Last edited by Myloch; 06-11-2010 at 05:14.
Old 06-11-2010, 07:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by nando2002 View Post
I don't have Vista - jumped from XP to 7.
Use the compatibility tab and set to run always as administrator. Set also the OS to Win98 and try it - if you haven't already.

Remember the crack was created under Win98. Windows NT (2000/XP/Vista/7) may handle things differently.
For a simple cd check, that should not matter. Different Os is only problematic, when API call adresses are hardcoded instead of being resolved via IAT. Thats why all Securom cracks made with Unsecurom dont run on Win XP or higher.

When i try to start podwin.exe i get "file i/o error" before disc check is hit.
Old 06-11-2010, 17:28

sorry Cowsheep I have no idea what this i/o error could be. I tried the basic version uncracked winpod.exe (pod-2.1-originals.rar) in a virgin pc,that never got pod installed and it give me the message insert pod cdrom. I have not tested yet the new executables from the update.
Old 07-11-2010, 01:50

Inside the update you uploaded on sendspace, the exes have version numbers 2.2 and are more recent. Here, i dont get any error anymore.
I think i have the game from the Gold Games 3 collection, i will search it.

EDIT: I installed the game now and patched it to latest version.
Unfortunately it does not run on my pc at all, even with disc in drive.
Simply nothing happes when launching an .exe file.
I have 32bit Win Xp Sp3.

In what language do you play? There is a separate function for each language responsible for displaying error messages.

Last edited by Cowsheep; 07-11-2010 at 02:24.
Old 07-11-2010, 02:36

yep, I got the game update because I have many different pcs (desktop and laptops) so I use the updated 3dfx + glide wrapper or direct3d/normal versions depending on the system.

@Cowsheep: I have a win xp sp3 too. Without the cd if I click on the exe nothing happens. But with cd inserted, the game starts normally.
Maybe have you got a pentium 4? I have an old pc with p4 and there is no way to make the game start on it (click on exes and nothing happens), even using the p4/amd patcher found on the web.

you can try to google for the single updates with installer (updatePOD21_norm-ati-s3, updatePOD21_d3d-dx5, updatePOD21_d3d and updatePOD21_3dfx). For my experience (and not only mine) they are a bitch to install correctly on modern systems. I far prefer using the simple unrar method version but maybe those can fix your problem. And the updates will not work if you have got the "pod gold" version.

edit: I have an italian system. You can change game language from c:\windows\ubisoft\ubi.ini

Last edited by Myloch; 07-11-2010 at 03:07.
Old 07-11-2010, 03:18

I have AMD Phenom I 9950 BE Quadcore CPU.
Game wont launch even with disc.
My Gold Games version was v2.0, i patched it with the Dx5 2.0 to 2.1 single updater.
And OllyDBG seems to have problmes with it, too.

I get a "Unable to locate data in executable file" when i try to save my changes.
Exes are coded in Watcom C++ and are not packed or crypted.

Try the following:
1. Load winpod.exe (most recent one, 1156KB size, version in file properties 2.2.8.1) in OllyDBG.
2. Go to adress 004742B2.
You should see JNZ SHORT winpod.004742CD.
3. Press space bar, type NOP, click Assemble and cancel.
4a. Select the two red nops and rightclick: Choose Copy to executable, all modifications, Copy all.
4b. If the same error that i get occurs, press F9 or click on the "play" button in order to start the game.
In this case, you have to the steps above each time you wanna play.

If you need adresses for other files, just tell me name, and version number.