Go Back   FileForums > Game Backup > PC Games > PC Games - CD/DVD Conversions > Conversion Tutorials

Old 17-08-2021, 11:14

L33THAK0R is on a distinguished road
Question about FreeArc and password-protecting archives.

Hi all,

I was reading through the FreeArc documentation that I could find, looking for information regarding using a password to encrypt archives. Has anyone had any experience using this functionality? I'm interested in adding it to my own future archives, but honestly not too sure where to start.
Sponsored Links
Old 17-08-2021, 11:20
Lame User

Thanked 5,558 Times in 2,027 Posts
KaktoR is on a distinguished road
For what experience you are looking for?

Using parameters -hp -p

Input password inside unpack script is enough.
Old 17-08-2021, 12:52
Senior forum member

Joe Forster/STA is on a distinguished road
Mind you, if the password is unencrypted in your script, it will be pretty easy to find. Also, if you start FreeArc (or any archiver) via command line - rather than calling a DLL function - then the full command line can be extracted from the process, e.g. with Sysinternals' Process Monitor or FAR Manager's "Process List" plugin. Are you sure you want to get tangled up in this cat and mouse game?
Homepage: http://sta.c64.org, E-mail: [email protected]; for attachments, send compressed (ZIP or RAR) files only, otherwise your E-mail will bounce back!
Old 17-08-2021, 19:36

L33THAK0R is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Forster/STA View Post
Mind you, if the password is unencrypted in your script, it will be pretty easy to find. Also, if you start FreeArc (or any archiver) via command line - rather than calling a DLL function - then the full command line can be extracted from the process, e.g. with Sysinternals' Process Monitor or FAR Manager's "Process List" plugin. Are you sure you want to get tangled up in this cat and mouse game?
Honestly I'm just looking to more so watermark the archive rather than protect it, had someone nick a repack of mine and claim it as their own (CRC-perfect with my archives, as well as the .txt file "Made by L33T" being removed post-install)