Go Back   FileForums > Off Topic > Software

Old 01-07-2006, 12:31

Muji-FightR is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Muji-FightR Send a message via Yahoo to Muji-FightR
AV, Firewall, Imager

Well, like visible in the topic name, Im lookin for some good software pieces.
I need an AV scanner, thought of NOD ? Can anyone just tell me if its as good as you can always read...
Dunno, Im using Avast right now and the license for updates finishes in 2 months...so Im looking for something new, avast had some bad reviews so i dont want to use it any longer
second thing i need is a recommendable firewall, dont have a clue...
nothing special, might be freeware aswell, main thing is that it works
and last but my no means least is an imageing software to make a clean winXP setup with SP2, updates and .NETFX which I want to make an image of...
thats easier than format c: and reinstallation of all the crap once again...
so i only have to do it once and never ever again, just have to use the image...

thats quite a lot, thanks for your answers...

Muji
Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2006, 13:21
Die Hard Member

kosmiq is on a distinguished road
NOD32 is great, I am using it now and I intend to stay with it too...
Uses very little resources, feel safe, a lot of updates (virus definitions updated almost every day) and really do find things if there are any.

As for firewall, well I can't point out a winner there. I'll leave that one for someone else.

As for imaging... Not my thing to do. I prefer a real clean format when its needed instead of some image thing.

[URL]http://www.bf2player.com/index.php?page=stats&account=23459637&show=all[/URL]
Old 02-07-2006, 12:37

Regarding image-software:
After creating a clean format I will do the image, so I get rid of doing the reformat twice or even more often... After applying the image, it is almost like a real format, absolutely no difference except for 5 hours of freetime more due to the fact that any important software (AV, .NETFX, drivers, ..) is already installed...

Last edited by Muji-FightR; 02-07-2006 at 12:45.
Old 03-07-2006, 03:05
Senior forum member

Joe Forster/STA is on a distinguished road
I agree with NOD32, I'm very satisfied with it. (It seems, my agitations at my work place were not in vain, we might just switch to NOD32 here, too.)

At home, I have no Net access but, if I did, I would choose Zone Alarm Pro for the firewall as I've heard good things about it.

As for imaging, I use good old Norton Ghost (6.5 and 7.0) under DOS. (It copied my 100 Gigabyte ext2 partition to my newly bought hard disk, re-sizing the partition on the way, without a single bit getting lost! A VERY NICE program!) If you prefer Windows, you'll like the newer Symantec Ghost or Acronis True Image (Home).
Homepage: http://sta.c64.org, E-mail: [email protected]; for attachments, send compressed (ZIP or RAR) files only, otherwise your E-mail will bounce back!
Old 03-07-2006, 10:19

Thanked 1,067 Times in 459 Posts
Grumpy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
As for imaging, I use good old Norton Ghost (6.5 and 7.0).........If you prefer Windows, you'll like the newer Symantec Ghost
I have used both the Norton and the newer Symantec and found them both to be very good Ghosting programs.
I used to use the 6.5 but now I use Symantec Norton Ghost 9. It is very easy to use!
You have the option to create Ghost images straight to DVD's or just as images on a spare hardrive. You cannot create the images on the hardrive you are Ghosting!
But instead of creating the images onto DVD's I prefer to create them on my spare hardrive then copy those images to a DVD. I only do it this way as when Ghosting back it can take quite some time to Ghost from the DVD's, so I copy the images back to my hardrive and then reghost from there.
To Ghost back to my original setup from the images takes me about 15 minutes, then I virtually have a fresh reformatted system.
Old 03-07-2006, 11:05

Thanks, will see if i get a trial or stuff to see if its worth buying
How exactly does imaging work ? For example, my winXP has gone due to SF driver corruption or whatever, how can i reapply the image on my HD ? Are there bootable discs coming with these programs ? Assuming i have no 2. HD (I do have one, just in case its gone as well), can someone explain to me how this works in detail ?
Old 03-07-2006, 17:10

Luciel is on a distinguished road
Dunno i've been using avast for quite a while and it's great, at least for me and it gets virus defs updates every day (there's been a few days where it's had 2 updates lol) and for firewall, my vote goes on zonealarm pro

[QUOTE]Are you by chance a poet or writer ? Just wondering, your writing style is quite a shock to those of us who are used to illiterate warez kiddies going "OMG WT!F whErEz Da CRACKS !" all the time. You should bundle your signatures and get them published :D[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE]Ever though that you never got viruses because...
... Norton didn't find them?[/QUOTE]
Old 04-07-2006, 03:59
Senior forum member

Joe Forster/STA is on a distinguished road
As for how imaging works, it's very simple:

- Norton Ghost for DOS, that I use, runs under... well, hard to guess... DOS. So, there's no problem with how to boot the system; e.g. from a boot disk, with included CD/DVD-ROM support (I have a few generic CD/DVD-ROM drivers for DOS, see http://sta.c64.org/dosprg.html#cyb ) or from a bootable CD/DVD-ROM that includes not only DOS but also the actual hard disk/partition image by Ghost. A great problem is the very low speed (~2 Mb/s) of saving/restoring data. But, when I moved my stuff onto new hard disks, I didn't mind the process going on for some 10 hours at home, while I was working...

- I haven't needed to use Acronis True Image yet but, as far as my colleagues explained to me, it can kick in during boot time and then can save/restore even the boot partition. This one is fast, like, at least, ~20-30 Mb/s!
Homepage: http://sta.c64.org, E-mail: [email protected]; for attachments, send compressed (ZIP or RAR) files only, otherwise your E-mail will bounce back!