Go Back   FileForums > Game Backup > PC Games

Old 29-07-2010, 00:34

tazguy79 is on a distinguished road
Riddle of the Sphinx

I have this old game called riddle of the sphinx. It is a multidisk game, and I would like to play it without a CD. I feel like i am getting closer, but after 3 days I have run out of ideas. I dragged the contents of discs 2 and three into the game directory. I know the game is reading them, because when the files are in there the please insert CD error does not appear. However, the game instantly freezes. I really would like to get this game to work, without a CD, so if anyone has any advice at all please let me know.

I have also tried making my own CD crack, but using W32Dasm I can never find anything relating to the error message about inserting a CD.

edit: there is no protection after scanning with PEID, and this setup.exe will install and get to the error I think that all i need to do is make it not check for the CD when it needs CD 2, and also to not check for the CD at 3, but I am not sure if i will also need to find a way to redirect it to the application directory to look for the files that were on the CD. If there is some other way to make it no CD i would love to know. I thought about DAEMON tools, but I still wind up having to mount and unmount CDs when going between rooms, and it is quite annoying. If CD cracks are against the rules, then a mod should delete this. But i am not using it illegally, just looking for convinience lol, plus if i can make this work I can make this bad boy portable =)

http://www.mediafire.com/?vhi33p0pprbgsc6

Last edited by tazguy79; 29-07-2010 at 00:57. Reason: added info
Sponsored Links
Old 29-07-2010, 03:56
zeroes and ones.....

TippeX is on a distinguished road
try using protection id to scan the folder, you might get a better result
w32disasm is old, try using ollydbg, its a bit better
and no-cd cracks aren' against the rules

whats the setup.zip for then? 122mb.. bit on the large side...

how big is everything in total?
Old 29-07-2010, 09:05

I ran Protection ID. That is how I knew there was no protection. I read in a tutorial somewhere that I needed to use w32disasm in order to find the part of the code that checks for a CD, and then use ollydbg to fix it.

The zip is the whole first disc. It installs the game along with the "riddle of the shpinx.exe" my problem is upon starting the game it asks for disc to before you leave this helicopter right at the beginning. There is this file next to the executable called irunin.ini. in that file there is a srcdir line which has the default setting of my CD drive. When i edit that line to have the application directory, and move the files from the CD to that folder, it prevents the CD drive from spinning up, and the cursor changes to a hand instead of an arrow like it is supposed to, but I cant click or do anything and the game locks up. So I know that the files are where they are supposed to be, I just dont know if its possible to play without the disc. If it would help I can torrent the second CD, but obviously its a huge file lol so I'd rather not have to do that.
Old 29-07-2010, 12:28

WaltonSimons is on a distinguished road
The option I'd recommend (I rarely recommend such stuff, so there is a good reason) is to rebuy the game.

Search for a 1CD version. Not only there is a crack for it (I can even supply it), it's repacked, it's updated (works in XP/vista/7 with latest quicktime instead of forcing you to stick with 3.smth)... Same thing happened to Omega Stone (only it's a tad bigger) and I also have a crackfile for it. Search for the Viva Media editions.
Old 29-07-2010, 13:15

unfortunately, I am broke lol and the only other option is a torrent, which is illegal, and even if it wasnt its such an obscure game that im sure id never find it lol. Unfortunately, im a poor college kid, so unless i can find a fix for this, i will just have to deal with disc changes i guess =(
Old 29-07-2010, 23:06

tazguy79 - activate your PM box so that I can PM you.
Old 30-07-2010, 09:23

I have looked all over and cant find out how to activate my PMs, but my email address is andrews91 at yahoo which i check regularly, or if you have texting you can email me for my phone number lol
Old 30-07-2010, 12:13

Email sent. Enjoy...