Go Back   FileForums > Game Backup > PC Games > PC Games - CD/DVD Conversions > Conversion Tutorials

Old 17-01-2019, 12:03

JustFun is on a distinguished road
Method compression's without parameters are written when default settings are used mate.
Don't like the topic? Then skip it!
This topic is only meant for sharing methods and discussion about them, off-topic posts are not welcome tbh, I personally hate when I have to browse through a lot of unimportant posts in order to find shared methods so I can add them to the Index it is really time consuming sometimes mate, and by doing so we waste moderator's time too for no reason.
So please guys keep it on topic. If you have something helpful to add please do, if you have a question or problem compressing some game please ask, but everything else that isnt helping or seeking help, keep it for yourself!

Thank you!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JustFun For This Useful Post:
felice2011 (17-01-2019), K4miKaZe (18-01-2019), Sergey3695 (17-01-2019), ZAZA4EVER (18-01-2019), zirkhaki (18-01-2019)
Sponsored Links
Old 17-01-2019, 12:24

Sergey3695 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustFun View Post
default settings
name topic - Best Compression Methods.
I will not waste your time.
Old 17-01-2019, 14:51

Thanked 1,025 Times in 359 Posts
felice2011 is on a distinguished road
@JustFun your work is impeccable, and the threads is an excellent source for the boys of the forum, and we all thank you, but personally I see him messed up in some points.
I'll give you an example you posted this:

Quote:

Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne

Game Size: 1.92 GB

Compressed Game Size: 790 MB

Version: v1.1.102.0

Ripped: Nothing

Methods:

Code:
bpk+srep on Videos

msc+srep on Sound and Voice files (MP2_Voice.ras, MP2_Sound.ras)

srep+lolz on everything else
OK then you write that you used a method, but you show the name of 3 pairs of internal compressors, how did you use them?
Did you use this method? "-mbpk+msc+srep+lolz" I do not think so.
Have you used a masked method of this type "-msrep+lolz/$wavloss=msc+srep/$bink=bpk+srep" for the game in question? Maybe.
You have scanned the data folder of the game, and you have created a list of files for each format, inserting the types of files in 3 different folders, a folder for the video formats, one for the audio formats and all the rest of the files in the last folder, in the end you have created an archive with this method "bpk+srep", a second archive with this "msc+srep", and everything else with the last method "srep+lolz" the third archive. Feasible but crazy.

I hope that the concept has been understood.
« Mediocrities Imitate, Genius Copy, God Creates & Destroys » (I Reconsider & Improve Their Works, Rending Them One And Only)
Old 17-01-2019, 15:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergey3695 View Post
name topic - Best Compression Methods.
I will not waste your time.
And that's what I intend to do, create an application that thanks to you all and to the work of @JustFun, recreates the same list contained in the INDEX https://fileforums.com/showpost.php?...05&postcount=1 with more than 500 games, updatable accordingly, with a dictionary structured in this way:

"Game Name - Internal Languages ​​- Method or Mask - Archives Number - Comp/Time - Comp/Ratio - Archive Size Compressed - Link Number Thread".

Something useful for everyone, quick to browse, with an infinite list games on current and future methods of compression used.
« Mediocrities Imitate, Genius Copy, God Creates & Destroys » (I Reconsider & Improve Their Works, Rending Them One And Only)
The Following User Says Thank You to felice2011 For This Useful Post:
JustFun (17-01-2019)
Old 17-01-2019, 16:08

@felice2011 and @RestOfYou

Yepp, files are separated, then compressed according to the file type, for example Videos are done using -mbpk+srep, I didn't specify any extra {options}, I literally put -mbpk+srep command into cmd and left it to do its job. Why? I prefer speed!
Also Srep isn't always the best option, but I prefer it because installation is faster.

Best method doesn't always have to be smaller size, some people would rather have faster compression/installation over smaller size.

That is the point of this thread, to have multiple choices of methods to choose from, either use one that will give you smaller size or one that sacrifices few MB`s/GB˙s, but has faster compression/decompression.

I hope I clarified good enough so you guys can understand what I meant to say.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JustFun For This Useful Post:
doofoo24 (17-01-2019), Grumpy (18-01-2019), K4miKaZe (18-01-2019), oltjon (17-01-2019), st0rm (17-01-2019)
Old 17-01-2019, 16:14

doofoo24 is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb

if people reads before commenting
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to doofoo24 For This Useful Post:
JustFun (17-01-2019), oltjon (18-01-2019)
Old 18-01-2019, 01:23

Quote:
Why?
Example:
1. msc. -ddsDXT=1; -bmf=9; -raw=0; - default;
bmf not stable. (does not support some cpu). (and lolz have dds filters)
raw=2 better audio search.
better -mmsc:ddsDXT=0:raw=2
Quote:
Best method doesn't always have to be smaller size, some people would rather have faster compression/installation over smaller size.
2. lolz. -fba256; - default;
better -mlolz:fba4096
or look -mtt and -mt usage.
3. srep. -m3; - default;
cls-srep don't support m3 metod. need using m3f.
4. Read how to use it first, before using the default options.
Old 18-01-2019, 01:37

Quote:
@felice2011 and @RestOfYou

Yepp, files are separated, then compressed according to the file type, for example Videos are done using -mbpk+srep, I didn't specify any extra {options}, I literally put -mbpk+srep command into cmd and left it to do its job. Why? I prefer speed!
Also Srep isn't always the best option, but I prefer it because installation is faster.

That is the point of this thread, to have multiple choices of methods to choose from, either use one that will give you smaller size or one that sacrifices few MB`s/GB˙s, but has faster compression/decompression.

I hope I clarified good enough so you guys can understand what I meant to say.
So let me understand, because I'm having trouble with your posts, you posted 3 separate methods that can be chosen is used for compression of the entire game, the 3 methods differ from (Max Speed/Min Compression), (Average Speed/Medium Compression), (Max Compression/Min Speed).
It's right ?
Old 18-01-2019, 02:46

Nope mate!
Like I said, files are separated, bpk+srep are used on videos, msc+srep on sound files, and srep+lolz on everything else, so in the end you have 3 separate archives.

I find it easier doing this way, because for example if you want to change voice pack language you don't have to re-compress whole game, just sound files, which can save you a lot of time sometimes.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JustFun For This Useful Post:
felice2011 (18-01-2019), K4miKaZe (18-01-2019)
Old 18-01-2019, 03:43

Quote:
Nope mate!
Like I said, files are separated, bpk+srep are used on videos, msc+srep on sound files, and srep+lolz on everything else, so in the end you have 3 separate archives.

I find it easier doing this way, because for example if you want to change voice pack language you don't have to re-compress whole game, just sound files, which can save you a lot of time sometimes.
Wow mate, your post could be more clear and detailed, saving time and unnecessary posts to understand, at this point I would have structured your post this way:

Quote:

Game Splitted in 3 Archive :

Quote:
Archive 1

Methods: bpk+srep on Videos

Arch/Size = 395MB (just an example)
Quote:
Archive 2

Methods: msc+srep on Sound and Voice files (MP2_Voice.ras, MP2_Sound.ras)

Arch/Size = 275MB (just an example)
Quote:
Archive 3

Methods: srep+lolz on everything else

Arch/Size = 120MB (just an example)
And finally I would have added the precious information of why

Quote:
Logically this is just my personal opinion of how a post should be structured in this thread, but you are free to structure your posts as you like.

The partial concept also concerns @dopofoo24, which always seems to me Wednesday in the middle of the week.
The Following User Says Thank You to felice2011 For This Useful Post:
knife16 (18-01-2019)
Old 18-01-2019, 04:42

Thanked 1,206 Times in 515 Posts
Grumpy is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Methods:

Code:
bpk+srep on Videos

msc+srep on Sound and Voice files (MP2_Voice.ras, MP2_Sound.ras)

srep+lolz on everything else
Not sure what is going on here but I found JustFun's post very logical and easy to understand what he did, I would of thought it was logical to everyone that he created 3 different archives, I really dont think any other information or layout was needed. Not really sure what all the fuss is about
JustFun (18-01-2019), K4miKaZe (18-01-2019), KaktoR (18-01-2019), oltjon (18-01-2019)
Old 18-01-2019, 05:12

K4miKaZe is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Not sure what is going on here but I found JustFun's post very logical and easy to understand what he did, I would of thought it was logical to everyone that he created 3 different archives, I really dont think any other information or layout was needed. Not really sure what all the fuss is about
Totally agree with that. I think there is absolutly nothing wrong on how JustFun has posted that games, it shows how he has done the compression, the game size, version, etc... I prefer this kind of posts more then others which you dont even know game version or the original size or if even something is ripped or not (that is important). And exact parameters doesnt really matter on such small games.

Oh, i know im a bit late but Happy New Year !!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to K4miKaZe For This Useful Post:
JustFun (18-01-2019), KaktoR (18-01-2019)
Old 18-01-2019, 05:42

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by K4miKaZe View Post
And exact parameters doesnt really matter on such small games.
look my prev. message pls.
if you think that posts in 3 words with information how to compress is enough, then I have nothing more to say.
Old 18-01-2019, 06:34

K4miKaZe is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergey3695 View Post
look my prev. message pls.
if you think that posts in 3 words with information how to compress is enough, then I have nothing more to say.
I will try to explain myself what i want to say. On really small games like that, the gain between the lolz or srep settings is so small that it isnt even worth, if 20-30mb are worth to you, then fine, do it yourself and post back the results here, im pretty sure many people will appreciate it.

If i see a post without exact parameters i will use the settings according to what i can use on my machine, so same way posting in "3 words" like you say, is also useless in posting a full method because not all people have 32gb ram, or 16gb, or 8gb. As JustFun said, some people prefer speed over size, this threat is not meant to beat WorldRecord sizes in compressions, its a thread for helpings, take it as a reference.

Every person is free to post on the way he wants, complaining about that is not nice. Just my opinion, dont take things to heart xD
The Following User Says Thank You to K4miKaZe For This Useful Post:
JustFun (18-01-2019)
Old 18-01-2019, 07:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by K4miKaZe View Post
so same way posting in "3 words" like you say, is also useless in posting a full method because not all people have 32gb ram, or 16gb, or 8gb.
You not know how to use it if you don't understand what I have written in prev. message. No parameter depends on RAM.

Last edited by Sergey3695; 18-01-2019 at 07:05.