Go Back   FileForums > CD & DVD > CD/DVD Recordable Media

 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #3  
Old 29-10-2001, 15:30
Wayniac Wayniac is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 226
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wayniac
I had the same problem when I upgraded my Philips 3610 (2x) to a traxdata 8432+ (8x). But these problems only centered around the PSX - not the PSX2 or the DC. Lowering the write speed didn't make one bit of difference with the DC, although the PSX read them slightly better. Gold discs didn't do work well.

I updated the firmware of the writer and used CloneCD to do the copying. Now the only PSX machines that have trouble reading discs are the older one's with the weaker lasers. Also, the PS2 has a weak laser and hence has trouble with certain discs. This is a common problem - it's the machine most likely, not your copying. perhaps some DC machines have the same problem..anyone else able to shed some light? I have only recently started backing up PS2 stuff - I'll try and keep you updated and see if I can find some links.


I have used loads of different brands of discs for PSX and DC. The one's that worked the best were:

All 80min..

PSX: Memorex, Traxdata, Philips, Sony, Mirror.

DC: Memorex, Traxdata, verbatim.

The Mirror discs made by the Ritek factory (including the new one's) are very compatible with many DC machines, although thee build quality of these discs has been questionable in recent times. Memorex and Traxdata discs are also made by Ritek, but they seem to be of a better quality.

Here's what I'd suggest:

1) For DC games, use Disc Juggler 3.00.755 or later with Traxdata, Philips or Verbatim. If DJ won't work, use CloneCD. Email me if you'd like an 'evaluation' version of Juggler..

2) For PSX, use Clone CD 2.7.8.1 or later with Traxdata, Mirror, Philips or Sony. verbatim discs - due to their blue die - means older machines have trouble reading them, reflected in the intro anims 'skipping' and 'jumpy' sound. The DC as far as I know doesn't have this problem.

3) Make sure you have the latest formware in your writer.

4) optimise Windows by using a permanent swap file (min/max = 2.5 x RAM) and defragmenting your drive.

Other people I know use Plextor writers and have no trouble burning PSX or DC games on cheapo media - even at high speeds.
Reply With Quote
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 00:57.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
FileForums @ https://fileforums.com