Go Back   FileForums > Game Backup > SEGA > DC Games

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-12-2005, 15:55
bucanero
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
It might be that a security check triggers because either:

1) the SPECIAL.BIN doesn't have the correct size
2) the SPECIAL.BIN isn't in the original LBA sector

or a combination of both checks...

that's my wild guess... of course you could check other rips (like the one from ECH) to see how they did it.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 12-12-2005, 19:01
Excalibur007 Excalibur007 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Dallas, TX USA
Posts: 159
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Excalibur007
I was going to avoid mentioning echelon's rip, but I should probably add this: Echelon's was the JP version and they just made a 20 byte file called YARIGHT.BIN to replace SPECIAL.BIN and hexedited it into the 1st_read.bin in place of where it said "special.bin". It's in the same place where "snip_e.afs" is named in the 1st_read.bin if you wanted to take a look. Also, echelon just did the default alphabetical file order. Because of this, I would think that there is no check on the size or lba of SPECIAL.BIN... unless there's that much of a protection difference between the Japanese and USA versions.

I was thinking maybe there's an extra protection that needs edited like in Confidential mission or Jet Grind Radio.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 13-12-2005, 16:14
Warlock's Avatar
Warlock Warlock is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: US
Posts: 3,536
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Warlock is on a distinguished road
Please, no talk of warez boy's
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 14-12-2005, 01:14
Darkfalz Darkfalz is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Australia
Posts: 216
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Darkfalz is on a distinguished road
He's backing up his own game, I think that should be okay?

When I get those dummy protections I always keep as much as possible and hex edit the ISO file system to change the size of the file to original. There may be other protection (try the CDE4436A generic protection hack). Other than that, I dunno.

If any of these game developers had any brains with these "dummy" protections they'd put some important game data at the very end of the file, so you couldn't make it smaller. Not that it would deter a proper hacker, but just putting a big dummy file on there only stops the most inexperienced ripper.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 14-12-2005, 05:07
Warlock's Avatar
Warlock Warlock is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: US
Posts: 3,536
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Warlock is on a distinguished road
I realize he is backing up his own original and i have no problem with that but we are not allowed to talk or discuss "echelon's rip".
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 14-12-2005, 21:45
Darkfalz Darkfalz is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Australia
Posts: 216
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Darkfalz is on a distinguished road
Ah, I didn't notice that. Well spotted.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 19-12-2005, 22:36
Excalibur007 Excalibur007 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Dallas, TX USA
Posts: 159
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Excalibur007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkfalz
When I get those dummy protections I always keep as much as possible and hex edit the ISO file system to change the size of the file to original. There may be other protection (try the CDE4436A generic protection hack). Other than that, I dunno.
I took your advice and hex edited the ISO file to say the special.bin was 768 MB. Works fine now. There IS a check on the size of that file. You can also hex edit the 1st_read.bin if you'd rather do that than patch the ISO. FYI, the size check is at offset 35780 (US version).
Thanks so much darkfalz for helping once again.
...One more GDROM to be put away.

-Ex
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 20-12-2005, 02:09
Darkfalz Darkfalz is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Australia
Posts: 216
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Darkfalz is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur007
I took your advice and hex edited the ISO file to say the special.bin was 768 MB. Works fine now. There IS a check on the size of that file. You can also hex edit the 1st_read.bin if you'd rather do that than patch the ISO. FYI, the size check is at offset 35780 (US version).
Thanks so much darkfalz for helping once again.
...One more GDROM to be put away.

-Ex
I always prefer doing modifications to the file system than to 1ST_READ.BIN

Nice to see you got it working. And again proves the sheer stupidity of these dummy "protections". At least put one byte at the end and check it!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 20-12-2005, 09:26
djgarf's Avatar
djgarf djgarf is offline
Die Hard Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: efnet
Posts: 506
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
djgarf
any chance of putting a little guide up on what to hex edit to achieve this so other people can use the infomation
__________________
[url=http://www.xbox-scene.com/articles/xbins.php]for all xbox noobie needs[/url]
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Silent Scope and UT dont run! Why? Crappy2002 DC Games 2 10-03-2001 23:28
Copying a cdr copy of silent scope Jmanmurda2 DC Games 1 16-01-2001 04:07
Silent Scope ----- DC Games 1 05-01-2001 12:28
Do u need unpack.exe and injeckt.exe for silent scope cdi? ezdell DC Games 2 19-12-2000 15:01
Anyone managed to burn and play Silent Scope? [GaNoN] DC Games 0 31-10-2000 20:37



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 15:23.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
FileForums @ https://fileforums.com