Go Back   FileForums > Game Backup > Sony PlayStation > PS2 Games

Old 11-11-2001, 00:13

dimsum5
standards for copying and playing games

im new at this whole copying ps2 games thing, so can someone help me out. i dont have a dvd writer, only a 8x cd-r writer. will i be able to copy games correctly, and will my ps2 read them if i dont have a mod chip or anything? basically im asking, can my ps2 play burned cds without a mod chip or anything special?
Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-2001, 04:13
Charlie

There you go - this'll get you going. See para 5 re: DVD games

I'll assume that you have an original game to copy such as one you have bought and wish to protect. You will need a modchip for your PS/PS2, copying software & the right PC hardware for the burning job. I recommend the Yamaha 2100/2200S (or E) CD-RW for optimum compatibility for read & write with the recommended copying software. If you take an EIDE connected burner, ensure that it is placed on the secondary IDE channel else the device will slow down the hard disk & buffer under-runs are likely to occur on non-burn-proof devices.

Go to ####://www.megagames.com or ####://www.sgt-dan.com/ or ####://www.psxcopyworld.co.uk for detailed advice.

The basics are as follows:

1/
You’ll need to get the PS/PS2 chipped to allow backups to play. Go to website ####://www.playstationmods.com or ####://www.madeiragames.com whence you can buy a mod (UK). An internal mod is recommended & if you live in the UK, they'll do it for you if you are not a soldering whizzo. You could also visit ####://www.modchip.com for their solution in USA.

2/
You will then need copying & patching software. I recommend just two programs; in my view you need them both: they are CLONECD & CDR-WIN. The former makes 1:1 copies (you'll need the tutorial from one of the above mentioned sites). Thus if you have an unprotected game (megagames.com lists games for which there are patches & the type of patch required; you could also visit ####://www.sgt-dan.com/ and ####://www.ps2ownz.com for lists/databases of games & their patches). If the game is of the same denomination as your PS/PS2 (e.g. PAL), CLONECD does the job perfectly. CDR-WIN stages the CD copy to your PC's hard disk so that you can patch the game as necessary (per PPF-O-MATIC.EXE downloaded from megagames.com together with the patches); then you burn the game back to the CD with CDR-Win.

3/
For the above to work properly, your CD-R MUST be compatible with the burning programs. The sites from which you download the programs list the compatible devices. CDR-WIN requires an ASPI layer to be present and this can be downloaded from ####://www.goldenhawk.com

4/
If you copy games from one TV standard (like NTSC) to play on another standard (like PAL) then the game may or may not play in colour. There are patches to change this or you could buy a convertor that sits between your TV and the PS/PS2. I have one of these because I hate patching & the patches don't always work.

5/
Your biggest challenges will be DVD games & Protected Games. DVD games can be backed up with PrimoDVD on Pioneer A03. Sgt Dan's site describes how to boot from a DVD backup using the NEO2 modchip solution. Nero 5.5 will burn DVDs in a suitable fashion but I haven't tried it. The cheapest DVD burner & the cost of media make it still worthwhile to buy the damn DVD game! Protected games are likely to be an increasing issue. Megagames, Sgt Dan and PS2ownz are usually cute here but for EA games, go to ####://www.eapatcher.com; With NEO2 and OrigaChip, EA games play bestif copied with CloneCD - no patching needed unless you have NTSC/PAL problems.

6/
Finally an explanation of why the foregoing is necessary. Sony have gone to a lot of trouble to stop people backing up their games. Sony accomplish this by going through some clever pre-boot stuff that identifies from data pressed intp the CD/DVD whether or not the media is original. So we have to boot with compliant media (developed, for example, with the Sony OEM kit), pause the process, swap in the copy game (patched for NTSC/PAL or copy protection defeat), & carry on.

This forum has more than 22,000 subscribers. I'd bet that the bulk of them started off like you. It's not that difficult when you've done it once, especially with CloneCD.

Good luck & I hope this reply has been helpful.
Old 11-11-2001, 12:25

dimsum5
what type of modchip do you recommend, and what are the processes of getting it installed (or is it something that i can install myself?) Also, when you say "unprotected games", does that mean games that ARE protected are impossible to copy and play? do you know any specific games that are protected?

my main target right now is grand theft auto 3. thank you
Old 11-11-2001, 13:38
Charlie

What type of modchip do you recommend?
ANSWER: An internal modchip as it reaches more controllable parts. The most popular modchip is NEO2.2. Everythingis booted via a swap method and no one who has installed it properly and used CloneCD to make copies has had a problem recorded on the forum so far as I know. I use an OrigaChip because I want to boot import originals.

What are the processes of getting it installed (or is it something that i can install myself?)
ANSWER: You need to be a good solderer to do it yourself. You'll need a 1mm tip etc. Best to get it done by a solder whizzo.

Are protected games impossible to copy and play?
ANSWER: At this time, CloneCD makes 1:1 copies and brings the protection over to the copy. Your reader/burner must be RAW-DAO+96 compatible to properly treat sub-channel data.

do you know any specific games that are protected?
ANSWER: Too many to list. www.ps2ownz.com has a database of games and patches.

my main target right now is grand theft auto 3.
ANSWER: Until you've got your head round the basics, you'll find DVD ripping to be a minefield. DVD copying will need a DVD burner and the result will work with the NEO2.2. If this game is a must for you, buy it!