Go Back   FileForums > Game Backup > Sony PlayStation > PS2 Games

Old 18-02-2004, 04:10

fratres
DVD Copy Protection - Backing Up difficult?

Hi,
more and more I find hints on newer DVD-based PAL-PS2-Games saying "this game is protected against copying".
I found this on Ratchet and Clank 2, Dark Alliance 2 and some more I canīt remember right now.
Is that a new copy protection for DVD (havenīt found anything about it in the forum), are they using DVD9, or is it still possible to backup those games 1:1 as simple as it used to be (I used Nero, and even DVD+R works on my V3, using SwapMagic 2.0). Or do I have to use DVDDecryptor or DVD Shrink or something else to backup these games?
Please help!
Sponsored Links
Old 18-02-2004, 06:15

snake2 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to snake2 Send a message via MSN to snake2
try record now max
Old 18-02-2004, 07:20

TylerDurden is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to TylerDurden
DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink are mainly movie based programs. Dont use them for ps2 backups.

Tyler!
Old 19-02-2004, 05:33

fratres
Thanks a lot - but...
still wondering: is that a true copy protection (as it says on the cover of these games) or not? Actually I havenīt tried to burn them with Nero or any other software yet, I just wanted to know it before I waste DVD-Rs. Maybe it works just fine, any experiences?
And are there any PS2-games on DVD9 yet? Tyler, you posted a link in your general sticky but I cóuldnīt find any hint on that webpage that offers Rip-Kits. Would I need them? Thanks.
Old 19-02-2004, 06:43

There are a few games on DVD9 as of right now. None of them are the ones you listed. Dont worry about what it says on the box. Heck Id put that too if you think about it.

Ill look at the UIS as soon as I get a chance.

Tyler!
Old 19-02-2004, 15:57

SurfDrifter
Actually is much more difficult to backup CD-based games, than DVD-based games. As far as i know, there isn't any copy protection scheme applied to DVD-ROM. Therefore, i simple ISO, would work. And also i have made a backup of Ratchet & Clank 2 and i have beaten the game twice, so it was written succesfully.

Also, i read what Tyler said about DVD Decrypter. All my backups are made with DVD Decrypter - ISO mode and/or Nero. Since it's not locked you don't have dummy "bad sectors", thus easier to backup.

So, i believe, that RecordNow MAX's recording compatibilities is somehow a myth. There are numerous factors that influence a succesful burn.

Also, you know how ppl react, when they are prejudiced.
Let's say that the unanimously accepted RNM had a failed recording, everyone would blame the media/recorder/firmware/the full moon, etc.

If Nero had failed, everyone would blame instantly Nero, because "nero makes coasters...". So, for your information, DVD Decrypter uses the recording engine of Nero.

So, i believe that if someone finds a way to backup his precious games, should stick to that. I, for instance, I'm happy with Nero/decrypter.
Old 19-02-2004, 17:56

I assure you that I have done more backups than you. I know that dvd decrypter has given some people problems, and as soon as they use RNM or RNDX they have a working disc. Maybe its the wider compatability of the programs themselves. Either way they have a better success rate than with using dvd decrypter.

None the less if neither of the more recommended programs work I then ask to use different programs.

Tyler!
Old 19-02-2004, 19:50

snake2 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to snake2 Send a message via MSN to snake2
Quote:
Originally posted by SurfDrifter

Also, you know how ppl react, when they are prejudiced.
Let's say that the unanimously accepted RNM had a failed recording, everyone would blame the media/recorder/firmware/the full moon, etc.
well i remember this one time when there was a full moon i could not make a back up to save my life then the next morning everthing went fine
Old 19-02-2004, 21:19
Die Hard Member

spedmetal is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to spedmetal Send a message via AIM to spedmetal Send a message via Yahoo to spedmetal
Quote:
Originally posted by snake2
well i remember this one time when there was a full moon i could not make a back up to save my life then the next morning everthing went fine
Yeah that happened to me one time too, although it might have been the 12 Amuel Sadums...oopps (beer babble) I mean Samuel Adams I had that night as well.
[color=blue][size=2][b]Click[url=http://www.ps2-scene.org/forums/showthread.php?t=25770] here [/url]to view refes. Click[url=http://www.norcalmods.com/gallery] here [/url]to view install gallery[/b][/size][/color]
[size=2][b][color=red]Mod chip installs and repair [/color][/b][/size] [url]www.norcalmods.com[/url]
Old 20-02-2004, 04:28

SurfDrifter
@tyler:

I get your point about wider compatibility. And of course, if someone has problems with a program should use another to make it work.

But since, DVD Decrypter works (at least up to now!) for ME, i wouldn't like to install another app, especially when 2 or more recording applications can cause conflicts/problems with each other.
Old 20-02-2004, 05:42
Retired FF Mod

Warlock is on a distinguished road
I have about 5 copy programs running along with dvd decryptor without any conflicts. Problems usually happen when peeps use programs like Adaptec direct CD.
Old 20-02-2004, 05:44
Die Hard Member

Dal
Send a message via MSN to Dal Send a message via Yahoo to Dal
I made a backup of Ratchet and Clank 2 in the week and it boots fine. I used Nero to make all my DVD PS2 backups and never had a problem.

I believe if you use good media,burn at a low speed and have a modchip installed ie Messiah etc etc i cant see any reason why you cant make a successfull backup and boot it 100% of the time.

I have made plenty of CDR backups using CLONE CD and never had a problem either and that was when i had the old NEO2.2 modchip installed.

I think that if you dont have a modchip and use the other backup methods of booting them it can sometimes be a pain with patching etc etc.

You dont say whether you have a modchip or not???

Dal
NERO 6
mail me: dal_ramsay********co.uk
Old 20-02-2004, 05:56

Ice Man II is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Ice Man II Send a message via Yahoo to Ice Man II
Yea, I'm with Warlock, I have 6 burning programs on my computer and i have no problem.

U.S. v.7 PS2 with Apple Pro works great
Dell Inspiron 1100
2.2 Ghz
512 megs of ram
Sony DRX-510UL Dual Format
TDK 52x48x48 CD burner

Socom 2 name: War Lord 666
Old 21-02-2004, 07:48

fratres
Hey guys, thanks a lot for all the advices. Gives me a good felling to try a simple 1:1 backup of Ratchet and Clank 2 with Nero, as I did with Baphomet 3 before successfully and with difficult CD based games like Harry-Potter with Clone CD as well (Iīm using these often-hated SM-Discs without Modchip, I know, I should be blamed, but it works!)
So I wonder why they print "Copy Protection" on some games if there doesnīt exist one at all. Just to trick people, thatīs silly, isnīt it?
But what about this DVD9 topic? Does anyone have a list of PAL games on DVD9? How do I handle them, with DVD Shrink? And how can I know if a game is on DVD9, just taking a look at the TOC-size? What do you think, are they planning to press most games on DVD9 in the future?
Old 21-02-2004, 08:18
Retired FF Mod

Warlock is on a distinguished road
I believe DVD9 has gold bottoms