Go Back   FileForums > Game Backup > PC Games

Old 09-10-2003, 16:06
Die Hard Member

Cyber Akuma
New protection idea by Macrovision

http://www.gamespot.com/all/news/news_6076592.html

<sarcasm>
Brillant! Just Genius Macrovision! Instead of adding HARDWARE protection to the cd, such as special encryption, digital signatures, etc on the cd which are difficult to copy and impossible to burn without the right type of cd burner. You are going to make the protection 100% software, which can easily be removed, hacked, or cracked, sometimes in under 24 hours! I mean, the Sega Dreamcast used 100% software copy protection and you all saw how well that worked, dosent even need to be modded to play copied games. Now thats some serious brains over at Macrovision</sarcasm>

Well.......... your thaughts?
Old 09-10-2003, 16:29

mongo
will destoy pc ( like amega )

any num head could copy a game at least it is a challenge now

if this comes up crist

!!!!!!!DO NOT ASK FOR CD KEY!!!!!!!
BUY THE GAME
Old 09-10-2003, 16:47
Die Hard Member

Cyber Akuma
Can anybody translate that?
Old 09-10-2003, 17:02

mongo
commadore amega had software copy protection look wot happened to that

if pc goes same way
then

UNDERSTAND

BUY THE GAME
Old 09-10-2003, 18:53

viperspit01
Man, FADE protection is that old, this protection is nothing new...its been around since like 2001.....and then SecuRom copied thier idea and came up with SecuRom *New* Trigger Functions....so none of this is new man.......

......and besides it didn't really work.......

taken form G B W:

"Basically, because this form of protection only initializes when a counterfeit or "copied" game is recognized then the best way to get around this protection is to make a 1:1 copy that emulates the original. Because FADE isn't just the only protection used on the game this can be quite difficult, as you have to get around SafeDisc 2 or SecuRom *New* etc. protections. The best method to backup the FADE protected games is with Daemon Tools (you can emulate the games protection) or Alcohol 120% burning software (you can also emulate the game or make a 1:1 copy). BlindWrite can also successfully burn a game with this protection on it. CloneCD can also burn a game with this protection on it successfully with certain CD Writers. *Remember, if you experience problems with burning the game at high speeds, (2 speed +) (both the read and write process), then burn the game at lower speeds such as 2 speed and under (both read and write process). A lot of the time burning the game at slow speeds will solve problems of the install not working, or the burner not bypassing the CD's protection."

Napoleon Bonaparte:
"An army of rabbits, led by a lion, will defeat an army of lions led by a rabbit."
Old 10-10-2003, 14:12
Banned

krondike is on a distinguished road
Fade protection in Operation Flashpoint works very bad.

First, it's dosen't do anything at the game. What I've experince of.

Second of all, even if you got the original CD, the message "The original game do not fade". And third and last, the new 1.92 BETA version they giving out a clean .exe file, with out any Macrovision SafeDisc or Fade protection..... and still it can say "original game do not fade".... function very bad at this time....will se what the next upcomming protection will work... I think it's a good idea, beucase no one knows how the previus fadeprotection did work.

It's amazing that SecuROM triggers has been cracked!
Old 10-10-2003, 19:06

mongo
fade worked with IGI 2....

BUY THE GAME
Old 11-10-2003, 00:02
zeroes and ones.....

TippeX is on a distinguished road
essentially its macrovision stealing the triggers idea from sony, at least thats what it looks like to me, nothing new really, initially fade was used in operation flashpoint, but it all revolved round the serial number entered. and not the data on the cd itself, and yep it did cause problems initially, as for fade being in igi2, yes it was but this time it was using the safedisc 2 api system to integrate itself, a correctly made crack bypassed it entirely it seems
Old 11-10-2003, 01:48

viperspit01
Quote:
Originally posted by krondike
Fade protection in Operation Flashpoint works very bad.

First, it's dosen't do anything at the game. What I've experince of.

Second of all, even if you got the original CD, the message "The original game do not fade". And third and last, the new 1.92 BETA version they giving out a clean .exe file, with out any Macrovision SafeDisc or Fade protection..... and still it can say "original game do not fade".... function very bad at this time....will se what the next upcomming protection will work... I think it's a good idea, beucase no one knows how the previus fadeprotection did work.

It's amazing that SecuROM triggers has been cracked!
Couldn't agree more

Napoleon Bonaparte:
"An army of rabbits, led by a lion, will defeat an army of lions led by a rabbit."
Old 11-10-2003, 02:46
Die Hard Member

Cyber Akuma
Maybe they are doing this on purpose to secretely nail casual/newbie copiers?

I mean, some people that know nothing about FADE protection that copy the game and then have trouble are probably gonna post in the game's support forums their problem, which can let them know who is playing a copy.
Old 11-10-2003, 13:56
Banned

krondike is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by mongo
fade worked with IGI 2....
Nope....it didn't... I could play totaly painless with the cracked .exe file. and still got message "original game do not fade" and with version 1.2....I think it isn't any fade protection in it to....
Old 11-10-2003, 19:19

KiwiCom
Quote:
Originally posted by krondike
Nope....it didn't... I could play totaly painless with the cracked .exe file. and still got message "original game do not fade" and with version 1.2....I think it isn't any fade protection in it to....
I have to disagree. At least the german version of IGI 2 is "officially" Fade protected. Whether the protection really is implemented or not is a different matter. Looking into the manual will proof this. In the chapter "piracy" on one of the first pages, the translation says: this codemaster game is protected by the FADE copy protection
Old 11-10-2003, 23:05
zeroes and ones.....

TippeX is on a distinguished road
fade (in the pc cases anyhow) is hype, its like telling kids if they dont sleep the bogeyman will come, and yep the manual for igi2 does indeed say its protected by fade... however the cracked exe runs fine, so it clearly isnt protected by fade.. marketing bull****