Go Back   FileForums > Music & Video > Media Files

Old 24-06-2002, 11:49

stingray
Lightbulb You people want MP3's?

I've just read through the posts, now correct me if I'm wrong but it looks like you guys have never heard of WINMX. Remember Napster? well this is just as user friendly but much more reliable get it at www.winmx.com
Sponsored Links
Old 24-06-2002, 22:26
Die Hard Member

backitup
1 prob its slow (well i find it slow)
Old 25-06-2002, 11:58

stingray
What do you recomend then?
Old 25-06-2002, 12:43
Die Hard Member

gh0sth@cker
Kazaa Lite
Old 03-07-2002, 18:10

IndieJones
http://www.kazaa.com it works great for me and I have only got 56k
Old 04-07-2002, 01:38
Die Hard Member

gh0sth@cker
Quote:
Originally posted by IndieJones
http://www.kazaa.com it works great for me and I have only got 56k
Don't use that cos it's full of spyware, get the hacked "Lite" version with the link two posts above here. This has all the spyware crap removed from it along with other things
Old 04-07-2002, 10:34

stealthsnake
spyware?

wtf? what r they lookin' for? r tehy planning to send u tons of digital commercial prospects, or what?
Old 04-07-2002, 13:17
Die Hard Member

gh0sth@cker
Our surfing habits, personal info and preferences are gold dust as they can sell them to third party advertisers. But the worst part of Kazaa is probably the BDE (Brilliant Digitial Entertainment - i think) which, at a certain time, will activate and use your spare processing power and bandwidth for some sort of project it's got planned. If you read the small print you will read about BDE.
Old 04-07-2002, 13:40

stealthsnake
Unhappy

i don't wanna make this thread longer than necessary, but:

"(...)the BDE (Brilliant Digitial Entertainment - i think) which, at a certain time, will activate and use your spare processing power and bandwidth for some sort of project it's got planned(...)"

for example? any experiences?

kindest regards,
stealthsnake
Old 04-07-2002, 14:51
Die Hard Member

gh0sth@cker
"On the chosen day, the slumbering software will be roused the next time the user connects to the KaZaA network. That activates the controversial software, a program called SecureInstall. It comes attached to Brilliant Digital's B3D projector, which is multimedia banner ad technology that is also automatically downloaded with the KaZaA client, says an Altnet spokesperson. KaZaA will prompt the user to upgrade to a new version of the KaZaA Media Desktop. Then, Brilliant Digital's SecureInstall will launch the download of a program to access the Altnet network. During the KaZaA client update, users will be able to opt out of the Altnet service, the spokesperson says. The company did not say this previously."
http://www.curlio.com/showarticle.php3?newsid=2154

If you have a search on Google you will find many sites about such spyware.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...aa+bde+spyware

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...&q=BDE+spyware

I have had no experiences with the spyware for two reasons:
1) You don't initally notice it as it works in the background without you knowing and
2) I have moved onto Kazaa Lite a long time ago and cleaned my system with Ad-aware
Old 06-07-2002, 18:51

rabbit2
Xolox

Check out Xolox guys.
Its a newer release and has all the benefits of Kazaa without the spyware as far as i know. Runs on the Gnutella network aswell, making it harder to close down when the time comes.

go to download.com for it. its a super quick install, and has none of the garbage that you dont need. thousands of results and no fucking around. only problem is that it doesnt have the ping rate next to it like winmx does.

something they should add in the future if you ask me.
Old 07-07-2002, 03:25
Die Hard Member

gh0sth@cker
Hmm....has the Gnutella network got up to speed - when Morpheus switched to Gnutella cos it didn't pay it's bills to Fasttrack, I found it extremely slow, as did most other Morphues users. So I switched over the Kazaa using the Fasttract network - which IMHO is brilliant.
Old 07-07-2002, 07:41

rabbit2
Xolox

Not sure about the Fasttrack network side of things. Did that come with Kazaa or was it an add-on that tied in with it to improve dload speeds? Can you set me straight on this one [email protected]

For whatever reason, Kazaa had problems with my pc set up (and a shit firewall configuration that i never got round to fixing up)...so that and the fact that everytime i attempted to dload something i would be pathetically slow (on cable connection - as in 0.3 k/s) made me uninstall it pretty smartly and hunt for other stuff (like [dare i say it] something closer to the original napster!)

Anyway Xolox is super quick to install and has heaps of results. Plus ive had no problems so far...and im pretty demanding in terms of music content. All i can suggest is that you guys check it out...and to answer the question of whether the speed has improved .... in my experience it definitely has. Best gnutella based file sharing software ive used so far.
Old 07-07-2002, 08:38
Die Hard Member

gh0sth@cker
Re: Xolox

Quote:
Originally posted by rabbit2
Not sure about the Fasttrack network side of things. Did that come with Kazaa or was it an add-on that tied in with it to improve dload speeds? Can you set me straight on this one [email protected]
No it isn't an add-on to Kazaa - Kazaa uses this network the same way Morpheus now uses the Gnutella network.

Dunno what caused your bad d/l speeds, but if ya find that Xolox works for you then there's no reason to switch something else just yet