Go Back   FileForums > CD & DVD > CD/DVD Software & Utilities

Old 15-08-2011, 21:57

krazykat is on a distinguished road
Software to read and display the CD ATIP track

I need a software program (windows XP first choice or Linux) to read and display the complete ATIP track of a cd and dvd. I have found some "OLD" programs (2001 - 2003) that do not work or full of maleware. I have the original disc I need to read and I am asking for legal software.
Any links appreciated.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old 16-08-2011, 02:07
zeroes and ones.....

TippeX is on a distinguished road
Pressed (silver) discs do not have atip, its only on burned discs..or did you mean dmi?
Old 16-08-2011, 08:20
Senior forum member

Joe Forster/STA is on a distinguished road
DVDInfo(Pro)?
Homepage: http://sta.c64.org, E-mail: [email protected]; for attachments, send compressed (ZIP or RAR) files only, otherwise your E-mail will bounce back!
Old 16-08-2011, 21:13

Hi,
Thanks for the replies.

Yes I do mean Cd's ATIP track. Is dmi the same thing for a DVD? I agree that pressed CD's do not contain the ATIP track. I have CD's that I to determine if they are pressed (without the ATIP track) or normal burnable CD's.

I have emailed the DVDPro company. DVDPro is made to read DVD's and does not work on CD's. Also the part that reads the DVD equivalent track is not easy to use if you are not a programmer according to the company. I did give the trial copy a try and did not have any luck reading a CD.

Thanks again for the response
Old 17-08-2011, 04:51
zeroes and ones.....

Hmm i had no problems doing it.. Just use the right ioctl code..dmi is the sort of like atip but is present on silver (pressed) dvds such as sims 3 (where its used as a copy protection check, as you cant burn dmi to disc)..
Old 17-08-2011, 21:35

Tippex,
Thanks for the reply. Did you get DVDInfoPro Extreme to read a CD? or you talking about a different program? I am just in the learning stage. I do know that pressed CD's (audio is my interest, not games) do not contain the ATIP track that Burn CD's contain and use in the burn process. That the "protection" comes from a player reading the ATIP track on a audio CD and refusing to play because only a burned copy has a ATIP track. First time I have heard the word dmi associated with a pressed CD, but I am new.

You seem to be familiar with DVDInfoPro and how the "advanced commands" work, ie "... the right ioctl code....". I am willing to learn, at least enough to do what I want to do, if you could point me to some beginning material or other references I would appreciate it.
As I said, I have a bunch of ORIGINAL audio CD's. I made some copies that play OK in my portable CD and desk top player, but will not play in my car player. The originals play fin in the car player. I have narrowed it down to the the car player is probably finding/checking the ATIP track on the burned copies and not playing.
Seems like a good thing to learn about.
Again , thanks for the response
Old 17-08-2011, 22:09
zeroes and ones.....

Dmi is on dvd's, i didnt realise what context you were asking about..
Put simply, on a pressed cd there is no atip, on a recordable there is, it is there at the time it was manufactured and contains info on the dye used, manufacturer, burn speeds and so on.
There is no way to wipe this..its there from day one, on a pc some tools hook system apis and blank / fail the atip request.. On a standalone player this would only be possible by patching and reflashing the firmware..
Old 17-08-2011, 22:26
'Retired' Moderator

Grumpy is on a distinguished road
@ krazykat

a couple of things, are you sure the car player can actually play CDR's and CDRW's? Not all of them can but I believe most newer players should be able too.
I have an American Fujitsu Ten Eclipse CD5435 CD player in my car (the player is quite a few years old now) and it plays everything I throw into it, burnt Audio CDR's and CDRW's. It also plays MP3's which I mostly play on CDRW's in the car as its just easier and I can fit heaps of songs on the one CD.

Also have you tried different brand CDs? Maybe your player just doesnt like the brand you are using? I just use the cheap TDK 100 disk spindles for my music and they do the job nicely.
Old 18-08-2011, 22:12

TippeX
Thanks, So a pressed CD has no ATIP and a burnable CD is born with one that can not be removed. That is how I would like to use a program that reads the CD ATIP -- to definitely say this is a pressed CD and this is a burnable/burned CD. Will DVDInfoPro do this -- assuming it is given the right commands?

Just had thought. If a "good" CD player, using the right software can read the ATIP track, that means the read head knows where the ATIP track is located. What prevents the software from doing a "write" to the ATIP track and over writing or at least putting errors into the ATIP track so that it is not recognized?

Grumpy
I can not say for sure about CD's, but as far as CDRW's I have not made a copy to a CDRW. I will give it a try.

What I can say: I have several original, purchased from a retail store CD,s that play with no problem in the car player. Copies of these CD's (made using several different programs will not play. The player loads the CD, displays track 00, then 01 and stops. My guess is the player is reading the ATIP track and has been programed to only play "pressed" CD's that do not have a ATIP track. My car is a 2001 Acura with a factory Bose sound system.

I have some other original purchased CD's that will not play and display the same error symptom. I have not tried to make a copy.
Looking at the "back" side of the purchased CD's; they appear to be the same. Gray shiny surface. The "back" side of the copy CD's are sort of a dull gray with a very light green tint and display a rainbow color pattern if you rotate it so that the light light strikes it at different angles.
That is the main reason I would like to find software that will read and display the ATIP

Thanks again for the response and comments are welcome and appreciated
Old 18-08-2011, 22:29
zeroes and ones.....

Atip area on the disk is unburnable - atip = actual time in pregroove..then theres the leadin then data then leadout..dvdinfo pro or some of the cd/dvd tools should be able to read it, actually nero might do it too
Old 18-08-2011, 23:15
'Retired' Moderator

Grumpy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I made some copies that play OK in my portable CD and desk top player, but will not play in my car player.
i would honestly say its the actual player itself not able to play burnt CD's, its nothing to do with the burning etc, it is simply the player is not meant to play CDR's, if it wont play CDR's, then it wont play CDRW's either.
You did say the burnt discs work fine in your portable and desktop player. That also tells me the burn is ok, but the car player is not.

but i do hope you prove me to be wrong for your sake.
Old 19-08-2011, 21:41

Thanks to both for the reply. I will continue using your suggestions and will post any information I find.