Go Back   FileForums > Off Topic > Software

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 24-06-2013, 09:59
DazzleR DazzleR is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Indian
Posts: 17
Thanks: 5
Thanked 5 Times in 2 Posts
DazzleR is on a distinguished road
Question Precomp and SREP

i have heard a lot that precomp and srep help in compressing files to a great deal...
but till now i have not been able to do it ...
i had seen a release..that had the final files packed in .arc...when i start extracting..a .pcf file is extracted that is of a very huge size...then a rar file finally comes out which as a size smaller than the .pcf file...??
does anyone know how do such stuff ??

I tried to compress the final extracted files directly with free arc..but i don't get such a compression ratio..

Please Help ME !!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 24-06-2013, 10:29
red01 red01 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: last aayam
Posts: 95
Thanks: 36
Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
red01 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DazzleR View Post
i have heard a lot that precomp and srep help in compressing files to a great deal...
but till now i have not been able to do it ...
i had seen a release..that had the final files packed in .arc...when i start extracting..a .pcf file is extracted that is of a very huge size...then a rar file finally comes out which as a size smaller than the .pcf file...??
does anyone know how do such stuff ??

I tried to compress the final extracted files directly with free arc..but i don't get such a compression ratio..

Please Help ME !!

Compress the game files with freearc with -m0 command (no compression).
the resultant file is (eg. data.arc) is processed through precomp.
then work srep on that file ( data.pcf).
then finally compress that srep file (data.pcf.srep) with freearc again with maximum compression.

data.arc>data.pcf>data.pcf.srep>data.cab


you can try this but every game has different compression method for minimum size.
Good luck
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 25-06-2013, 05:32
DazzleR DazzleR is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Indian
Posts: 17
Thanks: 5
Thanked 5 Times in 2 Posts
DazzleR is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Compress the game files with freearc with -m0 command (no compression).
the resultant file is (eg. data.arc) is processed through precomp.
then work srep on that file ( data.pcf).
then finally compress that srep file (data.pcf.srep) with freearc again with maximum compression.
Thnx Red01..i knw that..but what options should i choose for precomp and SREP to get the best compression ratio ??? i tried using the "intense" mode in precomp..but it was no use..SREP reduces the size a little..and the final compression by free arc doesn't give me a good compression ratio.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 25-06-2013, 06:15
red01 red01 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: last aayam
Posts: 95
Thanks: 36
Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
red01 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DazzleR View Post
Thnx Red01..i knw that..but what options should i choose for precomp and SREP to get the best compression ratio ??? i tried using the "intense" mode in precomp..but it was no use..SREP reduces the size a little..and the final compression by free arc doesn't give me a good compression ratio.


best method is to try different parameters for different files.
look at the following linkhttp://freearc.org/HFCB.aspx

u can see the difference between compression ratio with slight change in parameters with freearc.
Try different parameters with precomp and srep as well to find out well suited compressions.

I hope it will help.

you can use Kurutucu Compressor as well if you want.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to red01 For This Useful Post:
DazzleR (25-06-2013)
  #5  
Old 25-06-2013, 06:58
DazzleR DazzleR is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Indian
Posts: 17
Thanks: 5
Thanked 5 Times in 2 Posts
DazzleR is on a distinguished road
and what about the stuff i wrote about ??? making a pcf file that has size more than the original file ??? do u knw anythng about that ???
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 25-06-2013, 09:27
Pein46's Avatar
Pein46 Pein46 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Malaysia
Posts: 27
Thanks: 12
Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Pein46 is on a distinguished road
@DazzleR

That .pcf file (PCF = PreCompressedFile) contains more decompressed data than the original file..
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 26-06-2013, 00:33
DazzleR DazzleR is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Indian
Posts: 17
Thanks: 5
Thanked 5 Times in 2 Posts
DazzleR is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pein46 View Post
@DazzleR

That .pcf file (PCF = PreCompressedFile) contains more decompressed data than the original file..
How can i make such a .pcf file with precomp ????
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 26-06-2013, 01:20
red01 red01 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: last aayam
Posts: 95
Thanks: 36
Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
red01 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DazzleR View Post
How can i make such a .pcf file with precomp ????
1. download precomp
2. either drag your data.arc file on the precomp.exe
or
open notepad and type the following command

precomp.exe -odata.pcf data1.arc
pause

and save the notepad as.bat file

place this .bat file in same folder along with data.arc and precomp.exe

run the .bat file and you are done.

precomp.exe -odata.pcf data1.arc ---------------in that command line
-odata.pcf is the name of output file (u can change it from data.pcf to anything as u wish with .pcf extension)
data.arc is the file for compression.


for more information about different options in precomp for better compression look at following link http://schnaader.info/precomp.php
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to red01 For This Useful Post:
Alash Als (30-05-2014)
  #9  
Old 27-06-2013, 08:04
DazzleR DazzleR is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Indian
Posts: 17
Thanks: 5
Thanked 5 Times in 2 Posts
DazzleR is on a distinguished road
@red01
i tried that..but it doesn't give me a .pcf file larger than the orginal archive..
i jst get the same size and same compression ratio after doing all that
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 27-06-2013, 10:46
red01 red01 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: last aayam
Posts: 95
Thanks: 36
Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
red01 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DazzleR View Post
@red01
i tried that..but it doesn't give me a .pcf file larger than the orginal archive..
i jst get the same size and same compression ratio after doing all that


i thought u want a small size by using precomp
but if u want a large .pcf file
using following commands

precomp -intense -v -c- -oData1 Data1.arc

-c- means zero compression for output file (better srep results)
-v means debug mode (if something goes wrong you can see problematic position and start precomping once again but with -i#########
parameter; ######### means problematic position)
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to red01 For This Useful Post:
Alash Als (30-05-2014), DazzleR (28-06-2013)
  #11  
Old 28-06-2013, 00:39
DazzleR DazzleR is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Indian
Posts: 17
Thanks: 5
Thanked 5 Times in 2 Posts
DazzleR is on a distinguished road
What parameters should i use to get best compression with SREP ???
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 30-06-2013, 07:53
Razor12911's Avatar
Razor12911 Razor12911 is offline
Coder
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: South Africa
Posts: 2,837
Thanks: 1,346
Thanked 5,924 Times in 1,514 Posts
Razor12911 is on a distinguished road
hmm, -m3f
__________________
Lazy?
Visit the
Tutorial Index


Forum is so boring it's funny...
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Razor12911 For This Useful Post:
DazzleR (01-07-2013), tawcf1993 (20-05-2014)
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (2xDVD9 -> 2xDVD5) SP only BAMsE PC Games - CD/DVD Conversions 100 19-07-2015 18:49
yener90's Inno Project Source Codes yener90 Conversion Tutorials 1475 21-10-2014 09:50
Commands use in Srep and Precomp red01 PC Games 2 18-06-2013 05:55
How do you use srep and precomp? surumanboy PC Games 6 14-05-2013 21:15
SREP and PRECOMP Archive Info danswano Software 7 31-03-2013 13:28



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:17.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2000-2017, FileForums @ http://fileforums.com