Go Back   FileForums > CD & DVD > CD/DVD-Writers

Old 02-12-2001, 15:43

CarponlineEditor
HP CD Writer PLUS 7200i problems

Firstly hiya I am new here,

I have got a cd writer as above and it wont work properly.

I have windows 98 and all the adaptec software which came with the writer. I fitted the drive as the slave to start with and it would read cds (slowly obviously, lol) but i could not get it to format a cd to use for drag or drop, it kept saying media not ready.

The hard thing here though is that in the system devices it said that the device is working properly and just before i tried to format the writable cd it said the media was suitable for formatting.

I also downloaded the latest cd writer program update as well as the software for the drive as it said it may not work properly with win98.

Someone thought that it may need to be the master instead so i have just spent ages trying to do this, eventually i set it up as the master and the cd reader as slave. These were both on the secondary ide as i have two hard discs on the primary ide.

Right now it wont read cds from either drive it simply comes up with Isset_se and thats that. The reader will look at the cd but not use setup so you cant get any software off it and the writer wont even get that far.

So has anyone any ideas as to what on earth i am doing wrong please? I had the blooming thing sort of working when i was on win95 but ever since then I have had troubles. Is it possible that for some reason the ide port is knackered or maybe the win software is wrong and not allowing the things to work properly?

Anyway thanks in advance for any help you may have,

Andy
Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-2001, 01:10

CarponlineEditor
Oh well I will carry on the thread on my own then sob, lol

Right this is as far as ive got so far

I have managed to work out which ide ports, cables, drives etc to put these cd drives in.

I have also worked out that device manager says that both cd drives (reader & writer) are working okay. I have also worked out that the cd writer recognises the cd disc which i place into it. Also the software will do a write test and says it is okay to format or make into a data cd.

Then when i try to do an ordinary format to use the blank cd it says medium not ready. If i use adaptec cd creator it will run through the write test, say it is fine and then start to write to the cd, then it comes up with this lot:

T7303: TrackWriter error - Undefined or invalid parameter
T7118: TrackWriter error - Command retry failed
D0100: I/O error (05/64/09) - sense code 0x64
D0100: I/O error (05/2C/00) - Command error - commands not issued in sequence

I am not sure but I have looked at the above info and it may have something to do with IRQ settings but i know not a lot about them or the I/O thingymagigs either. Any ideas??

A bit of info that you may need. I am using windows 98, the cd writer is a Hewlett Packard 7200i, the cd drive is a Goldstar 16 speed, which now mostly works fine. Not very good stuff but all i have at the moment.

I have a p200 cpu with 64mb ram, errr the software is adaptec cd creator, anything else you need to know please feel free to ask okay.

Oh and thanks again for trying,

Andy
Old 08-02-2002, 21:29

Sooty
Send a message via ICQ to Sooty
Hello
I have the same problem with my CD Writer.
Would you be kind enough to let me know if you have fixed the problem and how.
Thanks very much
Old 25-02-2007, 13:26

bobrush is on a distinguished road
Did you ever get these issues straightened out? I am reviving an old machine and I am having the exact same CD writing issues:

T7118: TrackWriter error - Command retry failed
D0100: I/O error (05/2C/00) - Command error - commands not issued in sequence

Any help?
Thanks
Old 25-02-2007, 16:22
Senior forum member

Joe Forster/STA is on a distinguished road
I'm not sure what software you're talking about but I read about similar problems with Nero: Burning ROM which later got fixed with an update of either the Nero software or the burner's firmware.
Homepage: http://sta.c64.org, E-mail: [email protected]; for attachments, send compressed (ZIP or RAR) files only, otherwise your E-mail will bounce back!
Old 25-02-2007, 20:02

Sidney
A record maybe?
A 5 year old thread dragged up out of the dim, dark, depths.
Old 26-02-2007, 09:02
'Retired' Moderator

Grumpy is on a distinguished road
I personally think 'bobrush' has done well to use the 'Search' button instead of just opening a new thread like 90% of the new users do.
Old 26-02-2007, 17:08
Retired FF Mod

Warlock is on a distinguished road
Try using different media, also, If you are using the device as a virtual dirve with "Adaptec Direct cd" you may want to try a cdrw. If i remember correctly Direct CD had all kinds of issues with other backup software like Nero/discjuggler,ect.
Not trying to insult you or put down your setup but Adaptec software and the 7200i was one of the worst of its era. I know this because i owned one. Simple CD writers are dirt cheap now. You can find a better drive for under $20 bucks. You can even buy a Pioneer DVR-a111 for $29. If i was you i would save my money and buy a new drive before i lost my sanity trying to revive this old dinosaur.

Last edited by Warlock; 26-02-2007 at 17:14.
Old 03-06-2008, 13:12
Banned

clint999 is on a distinguished road
Try using different media, also, If you are using the device as a virtual dirve with "Adaptec Direct cd" you may want to try a cdrw. If i remember correctly Direct CD had all kinds of issues with other backup software like Nero/discjuggler,ect.
Not trying to insult you or put down your setup but Adaptec software and the 7200i was one of the worst of its era. I know this because i owned one. Simple CD writers are dirt cheap now. You can find a better drive for under $20 bucks. You can even buy a Pioneer DVR-a111 for $29. If i was you i would save my money and buy a new drive before i lost my sanity trying to revive this old dinosaur.
Old 03-06-2008, 23:56
'Retired' Moderator

Grumpy is on a distinguished road
@clint999
Quote:
i lost my sanity trying to revive this old dinosaur.
Are you referring to the drive or the date on the last post of this thread. (The date on the post before yours).

Hopefully the original poster has well and truly fixed his problem after approximately 18 months.

But thanks anyway for the input.
Old 28-07-2008, 15:26

ventrical is on a distinguished road
Clean the laser aperature

Hi all,

Been working with tech/electronics for 40 years plus. I too have the CD burner in question.

I am not "officially" advising anyone what to do , but, what I had to do was inspect the laser aperature first. Most CD lasers get real "dirty" over time. Conventional cleaning methods do not always work. The law of optics is , that if the lens is dirty it will reflect light back into the aperature. Most CDs have a defeat for this , a thermal sensor and the CD will comletely shut down. It will apppear as if it is completely broken - in some cases it will not even power up. This is the laser logic protecting itself.

With the HP 7200 I had to disassemble it and clean the laser lens manualy because there were caked particles on there. Using 99% isopropynol and a cue tip I was able to make the eye as clean as a whistle.

Then , reinstalled HP7200 and voila' - power up.

Of course , to do such a cleaning one has to be a little bit technically inclined. As far as I know it is perfectly legal to clean your laser in this way and being a technician , it is a prerequisite to clean laser aperatures.

Dirty laser aperatures are not always the cause for malfunctioning CD witers but 80% of the time this will be a good resolve.

*note* The HP 7200 is a real tough device to open and inspect. Especially the ones made in Hungary. Patience required. In some cases torx screw drivers needed to disassemble. Some CD cleaning disks may work just as well , but, if there are dust particles caked on the surface from the heat produced from the laser, then the above described proceedure may be needed.

add-on Info:

Dirty laser aperatures will also produce bad read-backs. The smallest of paticles like smoke from ciggarettes or just ordinary dust will cause diffusion on a read/write.

To verify this , even with newer CD burners, you can take a lens (high-powered) and inspect the laser eye visually. (of course all power off to protect eyes ). The eye will appear to have a sort of pocked marked appearance. Even a smal speck can cause a bad read. Unlike harddrives, Cd-burners are not hermetically sealed and dust is always passing over the eye as air and dust are drawn in from the fan of the power supply in the back of your PC. Ciggarette smoke will leave an invisible film on the eye. It needs to be cleaned off. CD cleaner disks usually work , but not in all cases.

As a previous poster wrote -- it is much cheaper to buy a new one these days - but , however , there are a lot of high-quality CD burners out there that are worth the effort to clean the laser appeture manually.

Also , apply only gentle rotating pressure on the eye with the saturated cue tip. The rest will evaporate quickly.

Thanks for all other helpful info.

regards,

ventrical

Last edited by ventrical; 28-07-2008 at 22:37. Reason: add-on info